Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kohler 3 handle shower manifold
Author: clanderson (NE)

Spouse and I are installing a brand new Kohler 3 handle tub/shower manifold. Hot side had no leaks when we pressure tested. The cold side has a very small leak around the big compression nut. We tried incrementally tightening, but no matter how much we tighten it still leaked. We actually changed out the brass compression fitting on that side (we used the 1/2" threaded version and used plenty of Teflon tape on the 1/2" copper fitting that threaded into it) but it still has the small leak. Is there something we are doing wrong? Or a way to stop a small leak on the compression fitting? Or is the manifold some how defective? Both surfaces of the compression fitting seem fine by visual inspection, no pits, scratches, or burrs that we can see.
BTW we have a pressure balancing valve pre-inline so the manifold meets code.

Re: Kohler 3 handle shower manifold
Author: bsipps (PA)

Some times a little pipe dope between the Ferrell and faucet side of the compression fitting helps, but first the Ferrell is seated into the fitting properly ,or maybe the leak is just above where you think it is

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ferrule

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Kohler doesn't call this part a ferrule. They call it a "union Joint". There are none of the brass ring things that I associate with being ferrules. Like I said the manifold is brand new. What would a plumber do if confronted with a compression joint which won't seal?

aaah-ha

it is not a compression joint, soooo no ferrule (i was being funny re: spelling)

it is a mechanical union joint - seals metal to union using a 'ring'

check mating surfaces for 'burrs' or roughness or dirt

check that the connection is 'square', even, and 'touches' before need to tighen (proper alignment is critical)

a touch of lubricant (nevr-seez) on the threads (part 29) and the back 'shoulder' of the male end (part 28) where part 29 turns and 'scrapes' to enable tightening would be a very good thing

[www.us.kohler.com]

PROPER ALIGNMENT IS CRITICAL FOR PROPER "ENGAGEMENT"

Edited 1 times.

Hubby and I will try again. We've already inspected the mating surfaces and no problems could be seen. We'll try the anti-seeze on the threads (they are very tight). We lubricated before with soap.

AND on the 'shoulder' where the 'capture nut' turns to tighten the 'spud'

Author: hj (AZ)

If you are using the correct terms, a "plumber" would probably NOT be using that type of fitting in that location. If you are referring to a union which is part of the fixture itself, then pipe dope on the mating surfaces is all I have ever used.

Edited 1 times.

Those are the fittings that came with the manifold. Not by my choice. If you are questioning the terms, I guess plumbers don't call these compression fittings (as a previous poster noted), but rather union joints. I just thought that they would be considered a type of compression fittings as the principle is compressing the two metal faces together enough to make a watertight seal.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Kohler 3 handle shower manifold clap

We used the anti-seeze on the threads and shoulder as advised, and so far, 1 hour later, NO LEAKS! Thank you!...Oops.
Spoke too soon. small oozing noted out of both sides. Hubby tightened them about 1/8 turn. We'll see what happens. Cross my fingers.

Edited 2 times.

Finally 12 hours without leaks!

Edited 2 times.

go another 1/16 turn and "button 'er up" after 2 hours

good job

Edited 2 times.

Re: Kohler 3 handle shower manifold-Thank you clap

Thank you so much. My husband had to put everything he has into tightening. Without the anti-seeze I doubt he would have gotten it snugged up enough.

Edited 1 times.

'every thing he has' is a very very relative term

i am, personally, a relative weakling and always depended on proper alignment to ensure proper engagement of unions w/o using gorilla strength

if the parts were clean and 'nick free' AND properly aligned (they should NOT have needed pulling into place) they should have mated with relative ease ESPECIALLY if neva-seezed

perhaps y'all should get a pro to remake this final MECHANICAL connection and correct any misalignment found

best of luck

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.