Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Propane Piping
Author: HomeownerinKS (KS)

I am hooking up a small Mr. Heater propane heater for emergency use in case of a power outage. I am using black pipe and fittings. The regulator is a low-pressure type. A few questions:
1) the shutoff ball valve has a side tap. I'm assuming this is instead of a tee with bushing and plug for a test gauge connection. Is the tap supposed to be on the upstream (pressure side) or on the downstream side of the valve?
2) for the union, is there a specific type for propane service? Looks like the one I have has a brass seat. And are unions directional, meaning is the female half with the nut to be upstream or downstream? Maybe it doesn't matter.
3) I plan to use the yellow PTFE thread seal tape (probable most refer to it as teflon tape). Assuming this is okay?
And of course, I will use a leak detector solution when all is hooked up and pressurized. Any additional comments or suggestions?
Thanks.

Re: Propane Piping
Author: bsipps (PA)

[www.homedepot.com]

Your shut off should look like this with only 2 ports

The union can be oriented in either position and be brass or black malleable fittings

As for the tef tape it should say propane or natural gas

And remember the exaust is poisonous in most heaters and must penetrate to outside air

Edited 1 times.

Re: Propane Piping
Author: bernabeu (SC)

NO NO NO NO NO do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT use any of the shown valves for gas service

[www.bing.com]

unless you enjoy loud noise(s) as in Ka BOOM

while some images may, at first glance, appear to be 'gas cocks' they are NOT, repeat NOT and WILL release gas when closed (as is their function when underground and used for water service)

you really really really need a professional AND a building permit to 'mess with' gas

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.