Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moen Balancing Spool Cross0ver
Author: baumg920 (IL)

I think I recently discovered a problem with the newer design of the Moen Balancing Spool 1423 (design was changed in 2009 according to Moen). I hope for some feedback on it from this forum!

The inside of the balancing spool is made out of plastic now (molded poorly) and doesn't quite fit the diameter of the 1423 spool. It's too small and seems to cause a lot of water to be able to crossover from one side to the other. (Note: When you shake it, that part is what sounds like shaking a spray can)

In my building the "newer" Moentrol 3570 with the 1423 balancing spool is letting cold water push over to the hot water pipe (there is a problem with pressure differences in the building)... the original design was all metal and worked well (besides "freezing" up after a while, etc)

Does anybody else have that problem? .

Edited 1 times.

Re: Moen Balancing Spool Cross0ver
Author: steve (CA)

What's the psi difference? Do you know why there's so much difference? Can a hot water pressure booster pump be installed or regulate the cold water down?

It's a 100 year mid-rise building ... the galvanized hot water pipes have been corroding on the inside over the years. Have you had any problems with the Moen Balancing Spools and Crossovers?

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

No I have not.

I talked to an engineer at Moen today and he told me that the two stop check valves on a Moentrol fixtures are check valves and shouldn't let the water crossover unless they are bad. He also confirmed that the balancing spool has some play and can let some water crossover because it is supposed to be able to move freely. I am waiting on some replacement stop check valves to see if that takes care of the problem.

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.