Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Bummer - pinhole leak in copper water main.
Author: Tom the Elder (CA)

When I bought my house 30 years ago the water main was underground to where it entered the subfloor, and then went directly into the piping system. There was no shutoff other than at the water meter - which I am technically not allowed to touch. All of the pipes are galvanized steel. After a few years, I had a plumber install a shut off valve. He used copper pipe to re-route the main out the exterior wall, where he installed a gate valve, then back under the subfloor where it re-connects to the galvanized pipe.

This evening my son heard a hissing near the shut off, saw concrete area was wet, and insulation around the pipe was dripping. When I removed the insulation, a tiny jet of water shot out. The hole is dead in the middle of a short (about 1-1/2 inch between connections) piece of pipe. I'm guessing the hole may not be more than 1/32 inch. As a temporary patch, I wrapped the pipe in silicone tape which slowed the leak to a fast drip. I then used a hose clamp to secure a small piece of inner tube over the leak, which has stopped the leak completely (see photo).

I DIY a lot of things but know actual repair of this is beyond me. Here are my questions:
1) Am I correct the patch is likely good for at least a week or two, until I can have it properly repaired?
2) Is replacement of just the leaking piece likely to be OK or is it more likely the whole copper section, back to the galvanized under the house, will need to be replaced?
3) While this is being done, I presume it is a good idea to replace the gate valve with a ball valve. Are all ball valves created equal or is the something specifica I should ask for to get a good one?

Thanks.

Re: Bummer - pinhole leak in copper water main.
Author: packy (MA)

tom, the patch will last longer than the existing pipe.
i would open the wall and replace back to the galvanized.
as for the new ball valve, get one that says "full port" and has a packing nut rather than an "O" ring seal at the stem.

Author: Tom the Elder (CA)

Exactly what I needed to know. Thanks Packy.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you have a 1" gate in a 3/4" line

when you 'eventually' replace the copper use a 'full port' 3/4" ball valve such as:

[www.plumbingsupply.com] (also as solder type)

Sometimes called “full bore”, a full port ball valve is a special valve design that allows for unrestricted flow when the valve is opened. Full port valves have larger bodies than standard valves. This larger body houses a larger ball and larger opening inside. Full port valves have openings the same size as the surrounding pipe.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: steve_g (CA)

When you get it fixed, check the copper to see if it was reamed. If it was, check the pH of your water.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Tom, not to add to your troubles, but galvanized plumbing sucks. I bought my house in 1994, and replaced all the galvanized in the walls with copper as we remodeled each bathroom. In 2015 the long galvanized runs finally started leaking in multiple places, so those got replaced with PEX. The hot line to the bathrooms was 80+% blocked with crud. Very glad now that the galvanized time bomb has been defused.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.