Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clogged gas line or a bigger problem
Author: BCBandit (TX)

Sorry up front that this is long. I want to provide as much information as possible to get your feedback.

Short version: I have gas to my furnace and stove/oven, but none to my water heater.

Long version: Live in Central Texas, so went through the frozen rolling blackouts and 2 days of no water. At no time did I lose gas. Once water/power returned, flushed water heater due to brown hot water. No problem relighting 40 gal water heater. All gas systems were working fine, furnace, stove, pool heater, water heater. For last 3 weeks no problems until this Saturday morning. Water flowing from several placed on the water heater (in the garage). Shut off the water and gas then called for help.

New heater installed and then we discovered there was no gas to the heater. Furnace and stove still work, with no problems and no noticeable loss of gas (i.e. burners look normal at specific settings). I can not confirm if the pool heater works, as it doesn’t ignite, but I’m not getting any lights from it (so it may be a different issue).
So for sure, no gas to the water heater. The guy that installed the new heater (Plumber #1) sniffed checked the line from valve to heater…no gas detected. Directly from the valve, ensured it was open visually…no gas smell. Removed the valve…no gas smell. Verified the gas to the house was on…yes. Even sniffed checked the hose to the furnace…gas there.

Plumer #1 called in plumber #2… who repeats actions of plumber 1.. said it is blocked and we have to bust walls and cut the lines. (imagine my wife’s reaction to busting walls).
Called another organization and out comes plumber #3. Repeat of #1 & 2. Said he needed to do a pressure test. Plumber #3 calls experienced plumber #4 who suggests blowing the gas lines with nitrogen to see if it clears a block. Plumber #3 calls supervisor plumber #5 who is thinking cut the line to find the block. (It was after hours and plumber #3 was not comfortable doing that at the time of the night).

A little about the house…built 2014 single story. Gas meter is tagged 5psi. Pipe enter the house, 90 degree straight up to the rafters. Looks to be a metal 2” line, but not sure of the size. I can follow to a small T connections that runs a small flex to the furnace. Pipe runs straight approx. 6’ to another T connection. The T stem appears to go to the kitchen. Pipe runs straight another 6’ to a T connection. This T stem is the same diameter and looks to be for the pool heater (gas line for pool run was part of the house construction, not an add on). At this point, as the gas line continues straight, to steps down in size from the 2” to maybe 1” or ¾”. This runs straight about 6’, then 90 degree bend down and runs to the just above the foundation. 90 degree to parallel the foundation for approx. 3’, then 90 degree right for 1’ then 90 degree up for 2’ then it comes out the wall for the water heater. So the water heater is at the end of the line.

Any idea what happened?

I’m considering having the gas lines blown out before starting to open walls and cut pipes.

I’m open to suggestions or opinions. Thanks for taking the time to read it all.

Re: Clogged gas line or a bigger problem
Author: bsipps (PA)

I would take it apart at the tee fitting where it goes from 2" to 3/4 and seem if there is gas coming from the branch from the water heater if yes use flexible gas pipe like tracpipe to repipe the water heater

Author: hj (AZ)

Something is not right here. If you have a 5 psi system there is ABSOLUTELY NOT REASON to have 2" supply line, and if it IS 5 psi there has to be a regulator somewhere to reduce the pressure so the appliances can operate properly.

Plumbers #3, #4, & #5 discussed that same issue. The meter may be rated for 5psi, but they all didn't think it was up that high. We found no regulator anywhere along the line, unless it is burried under insulation and not in an accessible spot.

I remember during home construction when we requested the addition of the gas line to the for the pool there was talk about possibly upgrading the meter.

Thanks

Author: bsipps (PA)

How old is the house, the appliances worked for how long be fore this issue, I dont think pressure is the issue and am positive there is a regulator at the meter or in line somewhere, maybe even at each appliance, how long is the builder's warranty

Author: Curly (CA)

Need pictures of gas meter etc......

Thanks for your inputs clap

Update....
Short version...Water in the line

Long version:
The company that used plumbers #3-#5 sent out plumber #6 and a sidekick.
He obviously did not talk to #3-#5 so I got to explain everything once again. Bit of head scratching and verification that the pool heater had gas, he did the smart thing, called the boss for help, since he didn't have the equipment to blow out the lines.
Believe it or not, Plumber #5 shows up with plumber #7 (sidekick). 10 minutes of discussion and off to work they went.
Shut off gas, cut the line past the stepdown for the heater, installed a valve on the live end had #7 shoot nitrogen from the heater side and then we heard shouting and asking for a bucket. Blew out about 3/4 cup of dirty water. Blew it from the opposite end and another 1/2 cups came out (I measured).
High fives all around until they discovered they don't have all the parts and tools to put it back together. Calls made for parts, so they took a look at the water heater... more head scratching at a new inflow valve installed backwards (plumber #1), a 90 degree cast iron connected to the expansion tank copper (might have been bronze) line for the expansion tank (part of the original install) and no balloon in the original expansion tank. They switched those out and the gas parts arrive.
Who brings the parts..plumber #4!.

So everything put back together and everything works!
And for those asking.... using the term plumber for guy #1 is incorrect... should be "a guy". Lesson learned..used a licensed plumber! Then again it was a 3 week wait to get someone out.
Thanks for your inputs...

I knew what to ask and what to look for.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.