Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Damp Soil Around Copper Pipe
Author: chrunck (NM)

I've been down in my crawlspace a lot lately installing insulation, and I noticed some damp soil around a pipe coming out of the ground. I dug it up today, but I don't see or feel any water so I'm not sure where it's coming from. There was no water pooled in the bottom of the hole while I dug. Here are a couple pictures:

Any thoughts? How concerned should I be about this? Is this an immediate fix situation or relatively normal? A couple weeks ago I scattered some dry soil on top, and that soil was still dry this morning when I dug it up, so the wetness is definitely coming from below. I haven't seen anything that would make me believe the pipe above has been dripping on it.

The house is about 70 years old, but I've only been here about 2 years. I'm fairly certain that this is where the water enters the house from the street. Maybe that whole run needs to be replaced?

I wanted to get some outside opinions before I call a plumber. Any help is appreciated!

Re: Damp Soil Around Copper Pipe
Author: steve (CA)

Looks normal to me, depending on the mineral content of the soil. There's moisture in the soil. Look at the white line on the bottom course of the wall blocks. That's more evidence of moisture in the soil.

Author: bsipps (PA)

I agree

Author: packy (MA)

look carefully at that pipe to see if there is any colored printing on it.
the printing is color coded to signify the grade (wall thickness) of the pipe.

green = type K which is the best

blue = type L which is acceptable

red = type M which should be replaced

as for the crawlspace..
dig the dirt away from the foundation at least 6 inches deep or more.
glue 1 inch styrofoam against the block and then lay 2 mil plastic all over the dirt as a vapor barrier.

Those white marks are just in that one spot, and that's the only place I've seen moisture down there. I'm in New Mexico and the rest of the crawlspace is dry as a bone.

I'll try digging in a different spot and see if there's a similar moisture content. I tried briefly yesterday, but the ground was hard as a rock compared to this spot, which dug up really easily.

I'll look for writing on the pipe when I go back down there to fill in the hole.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

dig up the area around the pipe - you very well may have a 'pin-hole' leak in the unprotected copper

peace of mind is priceless

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I should have taken a picture before I started digging. The dampness was visible at surface level spreading out from where the pipe enters the ground. It's the weirdest thing.

I feel like if there was a leak between the house and the street, there would be obviously healthier grass along that route. It doesn't take much moisture in the desert to see a visible difference in how fast grass grows.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll keep an eye on it and dig around more when I get a chance.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

You have multiple clues that water is leaking from that pipe: the white stains on the concrete and the dampness that you spotted originally.

Is it possible that pipe is NOT your water main? If it is only pressurized under certain circumstances, that could explain why you can't find the leak at other times.

Try wrapping toilet tissue around the whole visible section of pipe, with tape top and bottom to hold it tight. Inspect after a week. The toilet paper will wrinkle, tear or stain if just a little water touches it. You can buy special paper that turns bright pink when water touches it, but toilet paper works fine.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.