Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Close brass nipplesk
Author: jeffdmc1 (NC)

Hi pros and tradesmen.

Trying to snug a Delta hand shower elbow against tile. A 2 1/2" hex nipple is 3/16" too long and a 2 inch is a little too short.
If I understand how a close nipple works, would a 2 1/2" close nipple give a little more snuggling up?

Could pobably find a 2 part elbow that may work but I'd like to give this one a shot.

Re: Close brass nipplesk
Author: hj (AZ)

A "close" nipple is a "SPECIFIC" size, Namely two threads without a "space" between. About 1 1/4" for a 1/2" close nipple. Therefore there is no 2 1/2" CLOSE nipple.

Edited 1 times.

Understood and thank you.
Too bad they aren't made any longer, seems like there would be a call for such.

I have to explore using a die to cut back a 2 1/2" then carefully grind or cut off an 1/8".

Maybe find a 2 part elbow which gives a little adjustability.

Plumbers earn their keep with knowledge of parts and unique situations.

Thanks again.

Author: steve (CA)

How about making a nipple, by soldering together 2 copper male adapters?

Good idea, thank you.

If I cannot swing that, I'll just silicone the 1/8" to 3/16" gap and direct my wife's attention somewhere else.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no no no no

make any length you need (with 1-1/2 long being the minimum for 1/2 NPT) with any stock and a hacksaw

'your' length of desired/required nipple = 2-1/4"

ps. standard nipple lengths

butt = short but deep back to back threads allowing (albeit not standard) very very close makeup = not readilly available = requires Armstrong Stock and individual dies

close = back to back standard threads

short = 2 thread equivalent unthreaded ridge

shoulder = 1/2" ridge

then

lenght by 1/2 increments regardless of pipe size

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Try inserting a nubby screwdriver into the hand shower port it may give you more leverage to turn, 3/16 gap is not horrible but it could be better

Edited 1 times.

???? forcing an additional 2-1/2 full turns ????

good way of 'splitting' the drop eared elbow in the wall

no way, no how

simply cut the required length nipple (in the OP's case = 1/2 X 2-1/4)

be done with it

Edited 1 times.

Thank you.
Looks like a good solution but overwhelming for me at this point. I tend to make things more difficult then they really are. I'll get some help at the local plumbing supply house.

If you wouldn't mind can I get back to you after I have a working knowledge of this procedure?
I really appreciate your time and expertise.

call a few plumbing outfits

tell them you want to purchase a: fabricated brass 1/2" X 2-1/4" nipple

be prepared to pay their minimum labor charge

Thanks again.

I did find a Henny Penny 1/2 x 2 1/4 LG Hospital for $14.
Would that be compatible with the brass drop ear?

I live in the toolies of NC and machine shops are hidden in hollows.

machine shops may be hidden in hollows but ANY decent plumbing outfit can cut and thread a nipple to ANY length desired

my 'trick' is for making ONE nipple when either the proper tools ('google' nipple chuck) are broken or unavailable or 5 stories down in a walk-up

does not require machining, merely a vise, stock&die, hacksaw

the reason for the extended thread is for vising the piece, after which said (damaged by vise) 'running' thread will be cut off leaving the tapered NPT

to answer the question YES, any 1/2 x 2-1/4 NPT nipple is good and compatible with the drop ear elbow

my reference to 'splitting' was that when the shower arm or nipple is GROSSLY overtightened said elbow (like any other fitting) will tend to 'split' due to the wedging action of the last imperfect threads being forced in

Edited 2 times.

Thank you clap

Thank you, great explanation.
After a while, I finally figured out the "chuck" section and things started falling in place.

I can get this done and once again, thank you very much for your time and expertise.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.