Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Check valve on inlet of hot water tank with pump in hot water return line
Author: popperette (IL)

Hello,

I work at a school and we have an electronic water fountain/bottle filler that has a cross over issue. First the fountain would allow water to pass through and fill a bottle, then it would not allow any water through. We changed the filter out and had the same problem. Sometimes the water came out and sometimes it did not (Just a side note, when the filter was released, there was a lot of pressure). Once, at random, when I put my hand in front of the sensor, I had water coming out in a steady stream. I kept the water going and noticed it was getting warm. After I emptied the water fountains chilled storage tank, I noticed the water was hot. I traced the pipe to see if there were any pipes crossed over and I did not find any.

I did notice that there was a pump in the hot water return line. The pump has a check valve on the pumps inlet side and that pump feeds the hot water return pipe into the cold water supply pipe which goes to the inlet of the water heater. The cold water pipe was hot. The cold water pipe feeds the water heater and the water fountain. If I put a check valve on the cold water side BEFORE the section where the hot water return pipe connects to the cold water pipe, the cross over will be eliminated. But I'm not sure if that is legal or if that can cause a situation where the water heater could explode if the check valve goes bad. If the check valve goes bad and no cold water can get into the tank and my electric water heater comes on, would the water just heat up and evaporate or would there be an explosion caused by low water? I know the 480 V heaters would open up eventually because they wouldn't have any water around them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Check valve on inlet of hot water tank with pump in hot water return line
Author: bernabeu (SC)

"I work at a school ........................ "

LICENSED .. INSURED .. BONDED plumber required ON SITE as you do not know.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: Check valve on inlet of hot water tank with pump in hot water return line
Author: packy (MA)

by code you can not put a check valve on the cold water inlet.
your problem is in the recirculation system. more the likely a check valve gone bad.

Thanks thumbs
Author: popperette (IL)

Thanks for the information.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.