Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Valve replacement not working properly
Author: Crazy812 (VA)

I recently replaced the shower control in the bathroom and hooked everything up correctly; however, when I turn the shower handle on it starts with hot and as I turn it open fully the water goes cold. I replaced the valve thinking this was the problem but it is still doing the same thing - from hot to warm to cold. It is like it is backwards. Any helpful information is appreciated.

Re: Valve replacement not working properly
Author: packy (MA)

do you have access from the other side of the wall?
turn the valve on so it runs hot and feel the pipes to see if hot is on the left as you face the valve.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

With many valves you can correct this by removing the cartridge and rotating it 180 degrees before re-installing it. What kind of valve is it?

Yes, I initially thought that too. I have access and they are correct.

I rotated the valve, flushed the lines and even took the valve apart (that’s why I bought a new one) to see if the valve was manufactured wrong. I have been doing this type of DIY for years and never ran into this problem.

Author: hj (AZ)

What make and model is the valve? with some valves, if you rotate the inside, you wind up where you started, and did not accomplish anything.

It’s a new Delta single handle shower with tub spout.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

Check out [worldwide.deltafaucet.com]
Fifth question

Author: szhosain (CA)

Yeah! I have Delta single-handle showers at my house, and yes, I have seen this when I put the cartridge in. I had to rotate it 180 degrees to correct the hot-cold positions.

Z

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you need to rotate the cartridge NOT the valve itself

There are two types of valves. Choose A or B below depending on your series

A. 1300/1400 Series (RP19804)

Here are the steps to follow in reversing the operation of your faucet.

Before you begin, make sure that you shut off the water supply to the faucet.

Remove the handle. A clear knobs will have a Phillips head screw located just under the plastic cap; a lever handle usually has a small set screw located on the side.

Slide off the finished metal (chrome, polished brass, white or almond) sleeve that covers the valve.

Unscrew the bonnet nut. The bonnet nut is a large brass ring and should unscrew by hand. If it is too tight, wrap a towel around the bonnet and use a pair of channel locks. Make sure that the entire valve body does not start to rotate as you do this. Remove the bonnet nut.

Do not pry the valve cartridge out of the body with a screwdriver. Place the handle on the cartridge stem and rotate it counterclockwise approximately 1/4 turn after the stop has been contacted. Remove the handle. Grasp the brass stem in the center of the white plastic assembly and pull it directly out, away from the wall. The valve cartridge should slide out of the body.

Reinstall the cartridge after rotating the entire unit 180 degrees. Make sure that the raised plastic stop, marked HOT, is on the right side of the valve.

Reattach the bonnet nut, trim sleeve, and handle.

B. 1700/1800 Series (RP32104 or RP32106)

Here are the steps to follow in reversing the operation of your faucet.

Before you begin, make sure that you shut off the water supply to the faucet.

Make sure the water supplies are turned off.

Remove the sleeve, bonnet and cartridge. Pull the cap from the cartridge and rotate it 180 degrees or one half turn. Reinstall the cap on the cartridge.

Reinstall the cartridge making sure that the key is fully engaged with the slot in the brass body. Be sure the HOT SIDE marking on the cartridge is facing toward the right.

Install the bonnet and sleeve making sure the O-Ring is behind the groove on the brass valve body.

Install the volume control handle with the lever to the right, then turn the handle to the ON position. Install the temperature control knob and rotate it to the left. The water should be hotter the further you rotate it to the left.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.