Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Proper Location of Main Water Shut Off
Author: Rickhoff (TX)

In what used to be warm South Texas, what is the proper location of the main water supply shut off to the house (no basement, slab construction) ... (1) just inside the entry point, or just outside the entry point ? (2) ball valve with a bleeder or other ?

Re: Proper Location of Main Water Shut Off
Author: bernabeu (SC)

anywhere it will not freeze - preferably in a 'curb box' at least 18" below grade before entry into house

how you drain the house is an entirely different issue

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

thanks bernabeu, the current entry point is above ground, valve was inside and it froze/ruptured prior to that valve ... I get the ball valve in a below grade valve box, sounds prudent! ... or can I install the valve above ground prior to entry point and protect it with pipe wrap ?

pipe wrap may, or may not, slow the cooling enough to prevent freezing

valve below the frost line WILL prevent freezing (fill the box with old discarded sweaters and towels)

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

If you have an shutoff valve above grade on the outside of the house anyone can just walk up to it and shut it off, nice prank I guess, regardless it should be in a "draft free" place where the temps won't go below freezing just because it is insulated doesn't mean it won't freeze,whether underground or inside the structure, I reccomend in a closet or laundry area

Edited 1 times.

bsipps, thanks for the reply... so is it prudent to redo the failed valve "inside" the house ? ... am I to understand that in cooler climates typically these valves are either underground or inside the structure somewhere ?

yes

inside the heated structure

or

'buried' below the frostline

IOW: where they are NOT subjected to freezing temps

IMO: buried is best because one may lose heat in an emergency

bernabeu, i get it! ... the thing about this setup is, even if I bury the valve to protect it from freezing, the supply line will still come out of the ground, raise up high enough to enter the house above slab level just like it does right now ... thing is, it didn't freeze there with standard pipe wrap and tape, it froze just inside the house! ... so the question i have essentially is, is the valve more prone to freeze damage than the copper supply pipe itself, assuming I wrap it good too.

exactly my situation ...

Author: hi (TX)

If you're doing a freeze ra Plumbing replacement of the freeze valve, please consider a drain valve just passed the house main shut off valve so that you can drain the pipes inside your house. Many houses in South Texas had the main coming in on the outside of the house which is not a good situation

..... which is not a good situation.

ditto

hi ... couldn't agree more ! ...bleed installed

Thanks

bernubeu ... plumber wanted to go with an above ground set-up with 1" pipe wrap, also had a separate bleed valve installed.

Thought process, easy access for shut-off and bleed ... gated property, so little worry of tampering.

Thanks for all the advice !

Rick

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Here in California, you can drive through the 'burbs and see water mains with shut off valves emerging from the ground in front of nearly every house.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.