Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 3 in. x 4 in. PVC DWV Hub x Sewer and Drain Soil Pipe Adapter fitting.
Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

I found this fitting on a hardware stores website and it says it connects pvc to cast iron. Can you use this fitting to connect pvc to cast iron with a donut? I cant find any to fit except a piece of 4 inch green sdr 35 pipe.

Edited 1 times.

Re: 3 in. x 4 in. PVC DWV Hub x Sewer and Drain Soil Pipe Adapter fitting.
Author: bsipps (PA)

[www.ferguson.com]

I assume you mean this push gasket not the easiest way cause you gotta lube the pipe and push like hell to get the pipe in sometimes using a grinder to bevel the pipe

Another option is to pack and pour a 4x3 pvc caulk ferrel

Author: bernabeu (SC)

if one is doing one or two joints only, one can always caulk lead wool instead of pouring liquid lead

The 5 lb. Lead Wool is used to seal hubbed cast iron pipe fittings. Lead wool is used in lieu of molten lead. 5 lb. per box. Primarily used with hubbed cast iron pipe fittings. Easier to use instead of molten lead. Creates seal when used with oakum.

the key words are: when used with oakum

the oakum is the actual seal - the caulked lead (note the internal groove at the top of the hub) packs and compresses the oakum and 'rigidifies' the joint

the reason molten lead is used for multiple joints is that it is QUICKER (not counting the melting/carrying/pouring time) per joint as it requires MUCH LESS actual caulking than lead wool

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Damn bern that's nice I've never seen that before, although I am in the pvc club the only thing i really use ci for is replacing an old flange, does it really hold like molten lead does?

yes, it does

BUT

joint for joint it requires WAY WAY more swings of the caulking hammer in order to make it 'solid'

the oakum is packed/caulked into the joint

the lead merely forms a casing to hold the oakum, and (using the groove in the hub) locks all in place

the readon for caulking the poured lead (after cooling, d'oh) is that it contracts after cooling completely and 'breaks the seal' - it merely needs to be 'expanded' laterally back into place

Author: sum (FL)

lead wool can be "poured" upside down but not molten lead.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, on the contrary.

steve,

the diagram does not show the 1/8" relief hole (air release vent) which must be drilled at the 'height of the desired joint' line and then sealed after the joint is caulked (albeit, theoretically, it can not leak anything)

one of the original uses for plumber's epoxy in the 'cut and knead' tube form

yep, been there, done that --- on the return bend(s) of roof vents --- NYC flat roofs, vent stacks ending 8' above roof to allow 7' code requirement for height above occupiable space --- return bend installed to prevent debris from being tossed down vent stack --- laundry and TV antenni all over the place - mounted on said multiple vents

also known as tar beaches

glad to see they are 'somewhat' still in existance

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

I have heard it's possible to use poured LED when mating a PVC up to a hub cast iron. Is that true?

Author: sum (FL)

steve, I have heard about this, but have never seen one upside down leaded connection, and I have asked a few plumbers and no one had ever done it. Is it a myth?

Yes you can use poured lead for a PVC caulk ferrule I've done it a few times and it works well,

sum,

i have PERSONALLY done a few (less than 6)

they were primarily done on roof vents making a return bend to eliminate occupant's trash insertion

BUT

i did one as a repair in lieu of opening an elaborately tiles mosaic wall to acces from the other side for a 4 piece 'dutchman'

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.