Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Strange question
Author: Southshore (LA)

Having central AC/Heat replaced this morning. One crewman in attic to start disconnecting. Turned the natural gas off. About this time the water heater (gas) next to the outside condenser started having a white cloud rise from it. It had an acrid chemical smell. No burning or natural gas stink. An oil like substance is running down from the upper cover of the heater. And I suspect the cloud was aerosolized oil of some kind.I have every medical condition known to mankind but feel ok. One of the young workers feels light headed. I have no clue, cannot think why oil should be in a natural gas water heater, and am worried about toxicity for the kid. Suggestions?

Re: Strange question
Author: hj (AZ)

From what you described, I cannot see ANY RELATIONSHIP between him turning the gas off and what you observed.

Well the A/C guys pulled out due to terror. Will be back Monday. Was trying to get a plumber to fix today so A/C guys could go back to work. One plumber came out to look at it. Said it was a steam leak that probably picked up the Oder from the mold, mildew, and green anole poop inside the internal insulation that built up over the past 2 decades! Just a cosmetic coincidence to make me poorer! I knew it couldn’t be an oil. Probably will die of some exotic lung disease from the biologicals. LOL.

Edit: thanks hj

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Did he say WHERE the steam came from that was leaking? Sounds like he was trying to Dazzle you with brilliance, or Baffle you with B.S.

Hi hj,
The steam came from somewhere inside the water heater and vented out of the top. As it cooled off some condensed and ran down the exterior with a light brown color. I guess like a tea. I can see condensed water on the cold intake pipe. I guess with the cool morning air and our usual high humidity, the cloud was able to linger until the cold water replaced the hot water in the tank?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"steam" = water vapor

actually, very accurate description as steam is an invisible gas and you can only see condensed vapor

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.