Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Galvanized fittings: backing them off
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Think attics / crawlspaces: what do you do to remove stubborn fittings? Leverage becomes a problem if you are on your side. A problem when the space is tight and / or stuff in the way. You may wind up doing the cobra stretch on your belly putting awesome pressure on your back and neck as you are trying to remove the fitting.

Do you:
Spray penetration spray onto fittings and wait awhile?
Heat the fitting up only?
Use a brick to bash the loosening wrench?
Toss a grenade in the general direction of the fitting?

Cool portable tools...not too long?
Some sort of leverage rig?

I was on inside edition today. Didn't volunteer for it. Was put on two calls in a row involving removal of multiple galgrating fittings. Both spaces were crawlspaces and very irritating. Could not fully finish either job as I could not remove all the gone fittings. It was upsetting to be covered with mud, unsuccessful, and on TV

Re: Galvanized fittings: backing them off
Author: steve (CA)

I'm in the heat and big wrench camp.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sawz-all

notch and split with chisel

done

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Sometimes tightening helps you loosen, also some plumbing supply houses rent the mega press heads, I am fond of the mega press

Author: hj (AZ)

If you do not have a big enough wrench to loosen it, you do not have what you need to "tighten" it either.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Well he did say tight space "something in the way" maybe too close to a joist or ground, hj I'm saying sometimes a little turn clockwise can make it easier to go counter clockwise, and mega press is still great

Author: mr leak (CA)

why not just abandoned the galvanize and run Pex

Author: ericsandstone (TX)

Went to grab new tools. 18" and 24" pipe wrenches. That should help. Was working with maybe a 10" and a 16". The 10" was getting stuck (not adjusting well). I think that it is in need of a new spring. The wrenches were getting very muddy as well which, wasn't helping any.

The idea of cutting the galvanized out snd running expansion pex sounds great!

I was working with someone else's wrenches. I'm not a big fan of working with tools too short and in need of repair. That serves only to lengthen time wasted on the job and, the aggravation

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.