Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Waste Vent Issue - Old Farmhouse
Author: rcable (MI)

Hello,
I have an old farmhouse, the build date is unknown, but is thought to be at least 120 years old. There's been a lot of shoddy work done to her over the years, and I'm trying to make things right the best I can without completely demolishing the place.

Anyway, I have been noticing some sewer (septic) gas coming up from the master bathroom, even in the warmer weather, but it's been especially bad since the winter hit. I suspected a drain vent issue, but it took me a while to figure out where that even tied into the rest of the drain. What I've found is a pipe in the basement, coming out one side of a wye, running up an external wall, and going up through the roof. There doesn't seem to be any place where any other pipes/drains/vents attach to this pipe, and this is the only vent coming through the roof. I will post a link to the image on my Google drive for anyone to look at. For reference, this pipe is only 1-1/2", which I understand is pretty small for a waste vent.

Here's the picture (the pipe on the right that goes into the foam insulation):
[drive.google.com]

The questions I have are:

1. Is this design just too flawed to work properly even if the pipe is clear? Referring to it's placement in relation to how the drains come in, not to mention its size.

2. Would it be feasible to cut into this, adding a cleanout tee, and trying to snake it from the basement going upward? My roof is piled up with snow at the moment.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions from anyone who is familiar enough with DWV function and design. I'd rather not tear up my walls if I don't have to, but I also am not keen on poisoning myself or my family by not making an effecting fix.

Thank you all so much!

Re: Waste Vent Issue - Old Farmhouse
Author: packy (MA)

you really have quite a mess there..
there is a big pipe draining into a little pipe.
the rubber coupling down low is sagging so it will catch debris.
lots more wrong as well

probably best to rip it out (leaving the cast iron fitting at the wall) and start again.
sorry..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.