Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to ream inside cut off 2" galv & CI
Author: jblanche (WI)

What's a reasonable way to ream a vertical pipe and minimize the debris falling lower into the pipe? Just stuff a rag down in there, vacuum stuff off the top, and hope I can pull the rag out when done?

Online table says galvanized is 2.06 ID, XH cast iron is 2.00", Service CI is 1.96" - so can I just use a 1 7/8" hole saw? I guess I would need to figure out an extension for the mandrel?

I want to cut off this 2" galvanized pipe and replace it with PVC. I suspect the easiest would be to cut it off just far enough above the cast iron hub/poured joint, so there's a stub for a banded coupling.

While snaking, based on what I saw inside the CO about 3 feet above the joint, I may want to ream the galvanized stub, and maybe the cast iron. Not surprising since it has served the kitchen for 95 years. Pretty sure the "hair rat" that slipped down from 2nd floor got stuck right where the 2" PVC transitions to galvanized, about six feet off the floor.

[postimg.cc]

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Re: How to ream inside cut off 2" galv & CI
Author: srloren (CA)

Just put a weenie (at Home Depo on the end of your garden hose and blow it out with water pressure.

srloren

Just put a weenie ... on the end of your garden hose and blow it out with water pressure.

Sorry I wasn't more clear - the pipe is no longer clogged. I snaked it, I just want to eliminate the old galvanized pipe before this happens again.

I don't think the weenie would have any effect on the calcified sediment that is in the pipe, or would it?

I am not a plumber.

Author: packy (MA)

95 year old hardened debris needs to be scraped of.
i would do just as you described.
cut the pipe about and inch above the lead, clean the stub well and use a no-hob stainless clamp.
put about 36 inches of plastic pipe and put a cleanout tee. from there you can snake down or up if needed.
when you are all piped, open the tee and run the snake wire down. run some water at the same time. wash all the loose debris down into the main pipe.

I was thinking if I wash the chunks down into the main line, they would just sit there forever like rocks. Sounds like you're saying don't worry about it. Thanks.

I am not a plumber.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

remove ALL the galvanized INCLUDING the piece 'leaded' into the hub

cut the galvanized where convenient above, but close to, the face of the hub

drill 3/16 holes vertically down into the lead as close as possible to each other (the lead is aboouuut 1/2-7/8" thick)

pick/chisel/pry out the lead

pick out the oakum

remove pipe stub

clean up the hub interior surface

install the new PVC using a rubber 'dougnut' gasket made for this exact purpose

[www.bing.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks for this option. I thought about that, it seems like a lot more work, but I suppose I need to figure out if it's SV or XH to start.

I am not a plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.