Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Connect Sump pit to ejector pit
Author: New2this (MI)

Hi, I live near the lake and built a new house. After a year, I am getting lot of water in sump pit, ground water. Instead of making second sump pit on other corner of the house, what if I join the sump pit with ejector pit. getting new sump pit is costing $ 6K. The sump pit and ejector pit are closely placed, I could dig few inches and join the two? Basement as of now is unfinished, that ejector pit is not used at all. I may finish basement and the bathroom as well in near future. I am really confused and need to know the pros and cons of joining the two. Legal aspect I can check with city, I am just seeking technical suggestion. Thanks in advance and I would really appreciate the feedback. Have a blessed day.

Re: Connect Sump pit to ejector pit
Author: packy (MA)

a sump pit is usually a flimsy thin plastic container that is not meant to be water tight.
sometimes multiple holes are punched in it and multiple rain leader pipes stick thru the holes and are not sealed at all where they penetrate.
an ejector tank is a much more sturdy tank that is meant to be water tight.
most commonly there is a single hole predrilled in the side with some sort of well sealed fitting attached. this is the only penetration and it is meant to accept a house drain pipe.
the hole is drilled at a predetermined height so as to work most efficiently with a sewer ejector pump.
so, if you want to use the ejector tank for ground water you will have to carefully drill a hole where you want it but that hole MUST be able to be 100% sealed if you want to change back to a sewer tank in the future

So when I make the bathroom in the basement, do I need to disconnect the connection between sump and ejector pit?

Author: steve (CA)

If the ejector pump discharges into the sewer system, chances are that is not allowed. The city/county wouldn't want to treat the ground water.

So when I make the bathroom in the basement, do I need to disconnect the connection between sump and ejector pit?

Author: steve (CA)

Where does the ejector discharge now?

yes you will. you will also need to patch the hole you have made in the ejector tank 100% leakproof.
any seepage out of that hole or back into the sump tank will be raw sewage.

steve.. the current ejector tank has no ejector pump in it.
he just wants to use the ejector tank a a second ground water collector that spills over into the sump tank.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Sewage under your slab is not a good thing. Could make for a very stinky house. Sump pits and their leads are generally not sealed.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.