Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Old Eljer single piece low boy toilets
Author: jca (AZ)

I have two Eljer colored single piece low boy toilets (the old Windsor toilets). Both toilets have the brass flush valve. The toilets are 40 years old. There are no numbers that make any sense to match to a model number. I have heard that the early Eljer toilets produced before 1990 didn't necessarily have model numbers, making it hard to match with exact replacement parts.

First question: On both toilets, the flush valves and overflow tubes that go into them are only 5 inches high. I am having trouble finding fill valves at the big box stores or on the Internet that I can adjust downward enough to keep the water coming into the tank from the fill valve from rising right on up to the top of the overflow tube. I can't get the one inch or half an inch clearance. So, what is happening on one toilet is that the water gets high enough in the tank that it seeps out of the toilet seat holes every time I flush. The toilet seat screws and bolts on that one toilet are now so corroded that I can't get them out. The toilet seats are Bemis and the screws go into the tank, not on the sides of the tank so they're always sitting in water. Because they are low boys, the portion of the tank that sits right under the seat hinges is as high as the overflow tube.Does anyone know of a generic fill valve that I can adjust to where it can be short enough to not fill the tank up so much?

Second question. My other toilet ghost flushes. It was so bad that I turned the water off to the toilet. I put a new fill valve in but it will also probably let too much water into the tank for the height of the flush valve overflow tube. So, again I need to find an adustable fill valve that will allow me to really reduce the amount of water coming in. Now on this other toilet, I have been experimenting with trial and error to stop the ghost flushing. I have replaced everything but the flush valve. My guess is that it is the seating gasket on the brass flush valve. Or I may have to buy a whole new brass flush valve. Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you.

Re: Old Eljer single piece low boy toilets
Author: packy (MA)

[www.amazon.com]

I looked up information on the White Keeney K830-15 Toilet Fill Valve Mini Pilot Anti-Siphon that was recommended by the last post. After reviewing several videos that Keeny included in their description, it was clearly stated that it did not work on low boy toilets. It was only recommended for two-piece toilets that hold more water and exert more pressure on the fill valve. It needs adequate water pressure to work. I really appreciate the effort. Any other suggestions?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.amazon.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

The past post recommended a Korky 528 Toilet Fill Valve, Universal, BLACK.

Unfortunately when looking at the item description, it clearly states that it is adjustable from 7.75'' to 13.5.''. My flush valve and overflow tube together are only 5" high in my low boy toilet, so this would not work to solve my problem.

Any other suggestions or recommendations? I'm not an expert and hope that someone out there knows of other options.

Author: packy (MA)

please post a picture of the inside of your tank.
some of the older 1 piece toilet incorporated part of the refill water to add oomph to the flush.
if yours does that, it may be possible to temporarilly stop that function and flush the toilet to see if it still flushes well.
if yours flushes well without the aid of some refill water then it will flush well using one of the mini-fill valves.
trial and error 101.

Call Customer Service
800-442-1902
Monday through Friday
8:00 AM to 7:00 PM ET

Saturday
10:00 AM to 4:00 PM ET

Write Customer Service
Customer Care
1 Centennial Avenue
Piscataway, NJ 08855-6820

juuuust maybe:

[www.homedepot.com]

you should/may be able to shorten the center tube/post to suit

Thank you for the suggestion. I called American Standard customer service earlier today and they referred to a part sold by faucetshark.com. I will have to call them and see if it will work. I also don't think it's complete and I need to find out if they sell the other parts for it. It's the old style with the "float ball" on the arm. It is 9 inches high though and I don't quite see how I could adjust or bend the arm to have it fill less than 5 inches. I'm just thinking aloud.

Author: clanderson (NE)

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

they show parts for several Low boy models by Eljer

packy MA said: please post a picture of the inside of your tank.
some of the older 1 piece toilet incorporated part of the refill water to add oomph to the flush.
if yours does that, it may be possible to temporarilly stop that function and flush the toilet to see if it still flushes well.
if yours flushes well without the aid of some refill water then it will flush well using one of the mini-fill valves.
trial and error 101.

Well, I think you are right. Unfortunately, I don't have a working camera right now. I don't have a smart phone either. I think that part of the refill water was used to add power to the flush. On the generic fill valves I have already adjusted the valve as far down as I could and disconnected the line from the fill valve to the flush valve to see what kind of flush I would get. No, the flush valve isn't getting much oomph. If anything, because the tank fills over the top of the flush valve, the flush only gets trickles until the excess water spills over the top of the flush valve and stops. But I still have the problem of needing to have the water 1/2 to 1 inch below the top of the flush valve to stop it from seeping out through the seat hinges. The mini-fill valves that I have researched from someone else's suggestion stated that they are not to be used in low boy toilets. I assume they need a higher level of water in the tank to exert enough pressure on the valve to close. But I guess it is trial and error 101.

Author: clanderson (NE)
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

they show parts for several Low boy models by Eljer

I have worked pretty intensively with www.plumbingsupply.com and I have to say that they have been patient with me and great in their responses. Ultimately they could not tell me what fill valve would fit. They list parts by toilet model number. They have parts for several Windor models. Although I have a Windsor toilet (which you can clearly tell by looking at their pictures), there is no model number on the toilet bowl or lid. I think that the toilets were made before Eljer stanped model numbers on them. plumbingsupply.com cannot match a part without the exact model number. They are the ones that referred me to this forum for any help I could get. I appreciate all of the suggestions/recommendations that are being offered on this forum and just hope I don't wear out my welcome. I am going to follow through on some of the recommendations and see where I get.

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

D'OH

(on my part)

To bernabeu (SC)

I know that plummbingsupply.com carries replacement parts for Eljet toilets. I emailed back and forth with them extensively. Bottom line was that they could not guarantee that a part would work for my toilets because there are no model numbers on my toilets to match the parts they sell. I don't think Eljer put model numbers on toilets before 1980, at least that is what I heard. That is where I'm stuck. I'm a thorough researcher myself and have spent many hours trying to figure this out. I'm at a point where I may just call a plumber to give me advice.

this is the fill valve you need for a windsor

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

At their best, these toilets didn't flush great. After 40 years, the holes under the rim are probably getting plugged up. This toilet will never flush well. Like I tell my customers, white goes with everything. I would seriously consider a new better flushing toilet that uses less water. Just a thought.

To: bruceb3 (MI)

If I could change the toilets out to white, I would have no problem doing so. But I can't. The toilets match colors with sinks and tub/shower in both bathrooms. One set is a gray color and the other set is all black. The tiling both bathrooms match these colors. Again, thanks for the suggestion.

To: bernabeu (SC)

I know that this toilet fill valve (the one pictured by bernabeu (SC)) is what plumbingsupply.com has for the model numbers of Windsor toilets that they list. My toilets do not have a model number and were probably produced before Eljet put model numbers on their products. Plumbingsupply.com will not guarantee that these fill valves will fit and work on my toilets. I think that the toilets were built before 1979 because the house was buit in 1980. Is anyone on this forum suggesting that I should go ahead and purchase the fill valve shown here and hope for the best? Would all Eljer Windsor toilets use the same fill valve on all of their Windsor models, regardless of when they were built? Plumbingsupply.com lists this fill valve for all of the Windsor toilets with model numbers they show. The valves
are not cheap and the float and rod are sold separately. I don't mean to sound cheap but I am trying to save on the number of times I have to repeat this and money.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.