Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water loss
Author: Mindi1108 (IA)

I live in a four apartment building that was originally a residential home that was converted into apartments. Two story building I'm on the second floor and this morning I experienced a complete loss of water in the entire apartment. The other three apartments have working water. There are a total of six water pipes or lines with shut off valves in the cellar, 4 for the apartments and 2 for the laundry room, mine being dead smack in the middle of the others. The bill has been paid, the valves are all on, there is no water main break anywhere in the town and there is water flowing out of the pipe in the cellar but no water in the apartment. My landlord thinks there's a possibility that my pipe is frozen in the middle of the building. My question would be if my pipe is in the center of these other ones is it possible for just mine to freeze in the middle of the building and no one else's to cause complete water loss. And if not what else might cause just my water to be stopped.

Re: Water loss
Author: bsipps (PA)

It's possible the pipe is frozen , did the landlord say it has happened before

Is the building on just 1 water heater or individual heaters I find it hard to believe that both hot and cold froze at the same time unless there's a nasty draft in the middle of the building

He said it has never happened before! He even called the previous owner who originally built the house and he said none of the pipes had ever frozen before and then told him where it would go up in the middle of the house- behind which wall

Individual heaters in each apartment. And I said exactly the same thing as far as the hot and the cold both at the same time. Plus I would have expected some type of warning like sputtering water or something to that effect. Is it possible maybe that it's an air pocket?

I would start by cutting above the cold valve that supplies your apt then open the valve and see if you have pressure there, if pressure is there keep cutting every 10' or so and open the valve till you get no water

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.