Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 apply force to gas pipe
Author: greggie (IL)

I got a 1/2 gas line wedged against a piece od wood... its vibrating when my furnace is running. I want to sandwich a piece of hose between them to quiet it. In order to do i will have to apply some force to the pipe, pulling it downward as i cant get to any hangers to loosen. Just need enoigh space to slide the hose in.

Is it a bad idea to force it?

Re: apply force to gas pipe
Author: sum (FL)

How about a piece of wood shim between the pipe and wood and gently tap on the thick end of the shim to create the space you need for the hose?

That should work, great idea thanks

Author: hj (AZ)

WHY is it vibrating? Is it because of the fan's vibration, or from the gas flowing through the pipe? Maybe you should be trying to ELIMINATE the vibration, instead of just trying not to hear it.

Im not sure why... i think it could be tje gas flowing... it only occurs with the burners on. However, it could be mechanical since the inducer is running at that same time... i cant figure it out but i know it stop when i decouple the pipe.

Hypothically, could you do chinups on a iron gas pipe? How secure are threaded connections?

Let me ask this..... is it bad practice to rigidly strap gas line to ceiling joists?

A number of years ago i added strapping to the piping, like one every 6 feet... theres 45 feet of it. Prior to that there might have been 2 straps between the appliance and where it enters the house through the sill plate area. Was like that for 50 years before i figured it needed more. There is no flex pipe either, so from gas meter to gas valve it is solid.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bsipps (PA)

No it is not bad practice to secure iron gas pipe, most people use it as a clothes hanging rod, now if you can hear a vibration from the actual movement of gas through that line run because the pressure is WAY too high and I highly doubt that its probably more like the motor vibrating or the access door is not shut properly

i say bad practice thinking your supposed to decouple the gas line from the joists somehow to prevent mechanical noise.

As far as the gas itself making noise, I tested incoming pressure at 6-7"wc and the manifold side of furnace valve is 3.5", so i think its mechanical too. But standing next to the furnace you do not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

hypothetically - yes, you could

in the 'olden times' hangers were 'supposedly' installed to withstand 250# + the weight of the piping they supported

today, the 'piping' itself is fragile ......................... frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Gas is under OUNCES of pressure. Gas flow would not cause vibration. An out of balance fan could cause vibration. Secure the pipe to the wood with a 2-hole strap.

Author: packy (MA)

when hanging gas pipe below joists, i use reznor hooks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.