Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 12" Rough In for a Toilet
Author: 120volts (CA)

I need to replace an old toilet with an American Standard 12" rough in one. I am measuring 11 1/2 from the wall (not baseboard) to the center of the bolt. I'm not sure how much leeway there will be. Will it work or should I get a 10" toilet? is.

Re: 12" Rough In for a Toilet
Author: packy (MA)

very close but you should be OK.
remember the toilet bowl horn can sit about 1/4 inch forward of the center of the flange and still set and seal perfectly.

Author: sum (FL)

Look at the specific toilet's spec sheet it should show the critical dimensions you need to see if it will work.

I had one toilet at a rental that I have since replaced, but it was too close. The back of the tank touched the wall, causing the tank lid having to sit on the tank, there isn't a gap to allow the lid to lower OVER the top of the tank.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sum's answer is correct

the ACTUAL clearances vary model to model, but, they ARE listed on the spec sheet

eg.

in the top left (usually) of the actual 'cut' is the clearance to wall

(in this example = 23mm or 7/8"winking smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Re: 12" Rough In for a Toilet clap

I made a mistake on the brand customer wants...it's actually a Glacier Bay model N2316. I tried to find a spec sheet for this model but everything just points to the generic 12".

I called the manufacturer tech dept and they also told me it's 12", however, that there is some leeway. So I guess I'll take a chance..

Thanks, everyone!

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

why on earth would you install a NEW glacier bay ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

I know, Bern... it’s for a very cheap customer and it’s their choice and I can’t shake them off GB. They wouldn’t even let me replace the shutoff valve and supply line that are over 15 years old.

Edited 1 times.

Author: srloren (CA)

If my dog house had a bathroom I would not install a Glacier Bay fixture in it

srloren

Edited 3 times.

Author: Curly (CA)

If they won't let you replace the supply line you should walk away....or you don't even give them the option. You don't want that kind of customer.

If the angle stop is still working and of good quality you can pass on that.

If it is a one piece angle stop and supply line you should run away unless you can replace it. Every time, a one piece angle stop and supply line is touched it weakens the joint. It may not leak right away but when it does they will blame you.....

If for some reason you can't walk away, at least put it in writing what you recommended and have customer sign it.

I'm lucky enough that the majority of my customers let me do as needed without any push back and if not I walk away.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

11 1/2" should work fine. There just won't be a gap behind the tank.

Installed it and there was close to an inch gap left from wall to tank, with lid on.

This will be my last Glacier Bay install...I would rather not get the bid than install these useless toilets.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.