Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to stop Thermosiphoning in residential recirculating system
Author: ybrich (FL)

My home has a recirculating system with a Grundfos 1/25 hp pump on a timer to circulate. I recently had the hot water tank replaced and at the same time converted from propane to electric. The pump needed to be slightly re-plumbed due to the different tank installations, and a new check valve was installed. The problem is now the water is constantly circulating even when the pump is off. I came across a post on this site that described a similar situation and the reply was to use a spring check valve, but the poster never replied that it did or didn't fix the problem. Would my termosiphoning problem be solved with a different check valve?

Re: How to stop Thermosiphoning in residential recirculating system
Author: packy (MA)

in theory, any check valve will stop thermosiphoning.
yours is either installed backwards or defective.

a spring check is a more reliable device.
BTW, it can be installed anywhere in the loop.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Dont buy a cheap spring check it will wear quickly

Thanks. Not installed backward, but possibly bad. Any simple way to tell. Does the small hex head screw on the side do anything to adjust?

Thanks. Are you saying all spring check valves are cheap and wear quickly or don't buy an inexpensive spring check valve?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you now have a 'gravity' recirculation system

count your blessings, insulate the piping (as it should have been from day 1), throw out the pump; and enjoy the simplicity

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

the hex is a rod that the gate swings on.
there should be a large hex on the top.
that will unscrew giving you a look-see at the gate which might have debris on the seat.

Not sure this is a blessing. Pipes are insulated, but heating the water to maintain set temp 24/7 is a lot more expensive than running a 1/25 hp pump for 3 minutes before a shower.

Thanks, I'll definitely troubleshoot the existing valve before replacing.

..... Not sure this is a blessing. Pipes are insulated, but heating the water to maintain set temp 24/7 is a lot more expensive than running a 1/25 hp pump for 3 minutes before a shower. .....

not really

cost of pump + cost of periodic pump replacement

cost of check valve + cost of periodic replacement

cost of 'coming up from cold' with the heating 'from scratch' of the incoming cold 'makeup' water

cost of pipe erosion from operation of pump

etc

principle is similar to heating with a heat pump: bring it up from cold or maintain moderate temp = same total cost BUT with much less wear and tear on system

remember: gravity recirc is very very slow and heat loss from properly insulated piping is minimal

simple is way way better

else: ? why are you here asking for advice ?

before pex, i used to run a gravity recirc system with insulated 3/8 soft copper.
i would install a swing check with a 3/16 hole drilled in the gate.
the flow and subsequent heat loss was minimal.

ALL the HW piping needs to insulated.

ALL

else significant heat loss from the uninsulated 1/2 or 3/4 main.

Another reason to insulate: the pipe supports/clamps should be installed OVER the insulation eliminating any frictional sounds of/from expansion/contraction (with or without a recirc system).

If done at time of installation = minimal additional labor, minor additional material cost.

Later retrofit = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ooops: the good practice versus code minimum issue .... AGAIN

grinning smiley

Thanks everyone for the expert advice. Surprisingly, I didn't see any replies supporting my concern of constantly circulating hot water. So I'll give some time. For peace of mind, in the next week I plan on installing a wh meter on the hot water circuit, and run it for a week with the recirc line open and then a week with the recirc line closed. Will let you know the percent difference.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.