Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pfister tub/shower valve trim handle PART II
Author: sum (FL)

This is a continuation of an earlier thread here:

[www.plbg.com]

Took a while to get resolved.

Basically, the lever handle of the Pfister trim broke off, which should have been a simple task get complicated.

It broke off such that the threaded portion is still embedded inside the metal hub. After consulting the parts diagram, it became clear that in order to take things apart, I must free the front knob (part 8F below) first, and in order the free the front knob, I must insert an allen screw through the hole where the handle is screwed into and back off the set screw holding the pin (part 8A below). Now since the handle broke off, there is no hole for the allen wrench any more.

Spoke to Pfister customer service and they sent me new parts. After ten days or so the parts came, only it was the wrong parts for another valve. Called them again and they had to resend, took another two weeks.

I drilled a hole through the hub, and was able to extract the set screw with the allen wrench. Yet the knob will not pull out. Something is binding the thing. Makes no sense. The only thing holding the knob is the pin, and the only thing holding the pin is the set screw into the neck of the pin. What can it be?

Well, there is no avoiding it now, I took out a Dremel and cut the metal hub all around 360 degrees. Then I realized there are two metal studs inside the hub, so I cut the studs off too, and even then the knob will not pull free.

I have reached the point of no return, so I took out a sawzall and cut through the middle portion, through the shaft, through the center pin.

Finally the piece came off, you can see there is quite a bit of metal there.

Once I removed the two screws, I was able to finally get to the catridge, replaced that and all the parts from there out, and made the repair.

I do have a few comments.

(1) Pfister was helpful in general, especially in sending replacement parts. However, they are not very technical. When I was looking at the exploded parts diagram, and ask them (through multiple calls to different people), they were not able to understand why I cannot remove the set screw...despite my explanations. "The handle threads broke inside the hub, the hole through which the allen screw inserts to access the set screw is now blocked!!!" I wanted to know what else could be holding the knob besides the center pin, and they couldn't answer that over the phone, and I am not sure they knew what I was asking. I asked if I could talk to their technical or engineering division, they said no.

(2) This seems like a lot of work to go through to solve a broken handle. Do you agree?

(3) I took the parts I cut out back home, and put it on a vice. I tried to use a hammer and center punch to punch out the center pin or the knob. NO GO. They seem to be fused together somehow. I still do not know what is mating the center pin and the knob with the set screw removed.

(4) Extremely disappointed at Dremel. What used to be a great company with a great product, I had one for many years that did a good job around tight corners, cutting seized toilet flange bolts, cutting electrical conduits flushed to the wall, and now the newer models are BIGGER, and feels cheap. When running you can feel the parts rattling inside, and it overheats after using it for only 10 minutes and you smell some plastic burning. I bought this new version last year, and don't even use it often. First time I used it to cut a lock strike plate, it overheated in 10 minutes. Plus you have to hit it with a palm even after the on/off button is pushed to start it. I already have a free replacement, same issues. I think it's a design issue. They are no longer making a reliable product. I will soon be looking for a Dremel like tool, but not made by Dremel. How sad is that?

Edited 3 times.

Re: Pfister tub/shower valve trim handle PART II
Author: steve (CA)

Was the original cartridge shaft brass or a aluminum/zinc alloy? The picture of the cut off doesn't look like brass.
Is the new shaft plastic or plastic tipped? I always put a little grease on metal to metal handle connections, to lessen corrosion "welding".

Re: Pfister tub/shower valve trim handle PART II
Author: sum (FL)

Steve the shaft is all silvery so not brass. The valve body is brass.

The new cartridge is all plastic I didn't see any metal part. There is a center pin that threads into the plastic cartridge shaft, then the hub goes on with two screws, the set screw then secures the front knob to the center pin. It looks like what you described as "corrosion welding".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.