Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Will something like this work
Author: kingshakabobo (IL)

Not to scale.

This is a new basement bath. I have part of the floor busted out and located the clay tile.

It’s kind of tight quarters with the sump pump and now that hub right where I need to be. . I planned on using two wyes - 4x3 for the toilet and 4x2 for the shower and lav/vent. But here is a large joint/hub right where the second wye would go.

Would it be ok two tie everything in to a double wye?

I could cut the shower in further downstream past the hub but I already cut the shower as shown and would prefer not to chop the floor up too much.

Re: Will something like this work
Author: steve (CA)

A double wye can be used, but you need a vent for the toilet. You can't wet vent the toilet as shown, with the main drain flowing through that double wye.

Can I add the toilet vent in front of the toilet? Versus behind up against the wall? Would 2 inch be ok? 3x2 wye?

Also, what’s the best way to cut the clay tile? Would a grinder/diamond blade be ok? I saw one guy say don’t use a grinder as it might heat up and crack the tile. The tile does appear to have a glaze on it. The other alternative would be a reciprocating saw with a long carbide blade.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, 3x2 wye and roll the wye a minimum of 45*, so the vent comes off above the centerline of the drain flow. I would use a side grinder and diamond blade to cut the clay.

Author: packy (MA)

how deep under the floor is the clay pipe?

can you cut a 4 x 3 "Y" downstream of that hub and put a 3 inch 45 into the "Y" so the 3 inch parallels the 4 inch?

you could then run the 3 inch a foot or two, put a 3 x 2 "Y" into the toilet drain.
bring the 2 inch up and over the 4 inch to pick up the lav and shower.
that 2 inch will be a fine wet vent for the toilet.

Author: bsipps (PA)

So the ipc says yes the upc says no and the philly code gives you 22'off an ideal bend before a vent is necessary all depends on where you live

Yes and no to what condition/scenario? What can be 22'?

So this is 6 inch clay? That will match up with 6 inch Pvc?

Measurement

That's 5" clay.

What should I match it up with? What size pvc and coupling?

Not knowing the inside diameter I didn’t want to restrict the flow.

Thanks!

What is the pipe size by the sump and what is the "main" that you show in the first picture? If the "main" is 4", then remove all the 5" from the "main" to the new tie-in and use 4". Use a 4" plastic to 5" clay coupling.

Wow never seen clay pipe inside a home usually the transition to cast iron is made outside the house, and yes the philly code says 10' of 4" pipe to an ideal bend then off the ideal bend you can run 1.5 pipe 12' more before needing a vent for both traps... seems to work

From the looks of you drawing you cannot downsize the pipe where is the existing bathroom plumbing before or after the new 1

at what point does the clay transition to cast iron?
can you get to that point to remove the clay all the way to the new bath tie in point?
if you can then you remove the clay at the transition point and replace with plastic down to a 5 inch clay x 4 inch plastic rubber coupling.

I would love to simplify this mess. The black cast iron comes from upstairs and the white pvc is from the garage toilet installed by previous (through foundation).

The problem is the clay sewer runs right next to a CLAY sump pump pit the previous owners had installed. I don’t want to bang around that clay sump pit an break it.

Would this work but as a double wye? I would have to order. That’s 6”

Will 6” pvc be compatible?

You can't insert a 6" fitting in a 5" pipe run. Inside diameter is what you need to work with, not outside diameter. Remove the clay from the cast iron down to where the new drains will connect.

it's hard to tell what is behind the plastic pipe.
but if you don't want to break the floor then you'll have to cut the cast stack that runs up the wall and cut the garage bathroom drain and re-do them above ground.
gonna make a busy corner but you won't have to break the floor.
run the new configuration above the floor for a foot or so and offset down into the trench. cut the clay and use the appropriate rubber coupling to adapt the new pvc to the clay.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.