Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain Flies and Cracked P-Trap
Author: mkeschatzi (IL)

Our single family House with NO Basement (house is on a slab)has floor drain in Furnace/Water Heater Closet on first floor. Drain Flies for 2 months and Landlord had plumber come today. Dx: Cracked P-Trap Leaking! Plumber had entire arm down drain and felt the cracked drain with rocks, plastic, natural materials in it. You cannot see the crack though. Fun Fact! This floor drain overflowed in July because previous house renters flushed things they shouldn't have. They snaked it and all was well. Plumber wants to Jackhammer floor, Replace drain, concrete. Landlord wants to put a homemade drain insert in allowing water to flow down but won’t allow air to come up? This fix sounds like a band aid. Should I be concerned with gases, other insects and or issues if this turns into a homemade fix? I’m a tenant, we rent this house and not sure what should be done but I would expect the repair to keep us gas/bug free. Please advise me of what the proper solution is and one that puts our health and safety first!!
Thank You Awesome Community!!

Re: Drain Flies and Cracked P-Trap
Author: bernabeu (SC)

the broken trap should be REPLACED

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

You really need that floor drain in the furnace room in case the water heater leaks. Do not cover it! Murphys' Law says "If you block the drain, the need for the drain will arise." It's about an hours work.

Author: johnc (CA)

Seems like a code violation to do this. Some cities will pull a rent permit over this. Check with the city about it. If he is informed about it by a city, he might change his mind. Or let him do it, and then call the city after it starts smelling.

Thank You!! So that is part of my question to, with a cracked P-Trap we are at risk for sewer gases or no?

a cracked trap will not hold water therefor you ARE at risk for sewer gas

Thank you! They asked me to cover the drain in the meantime to prevent the "flies" Also, if this was a code violation or a human hazard wouldn't the plumbing company have to disclose that?

? did YOU hire the plumbing company ?

No, I did not but they check out online.

my point was that the company need ONLY talk/disclose to the 'one' who hired them

Author: bsipps (PA)

Absolutely the concrete should be removed , trap dug up and replaced in the meantime a wingnuts plag should be placed in the pipe to prevent sewer gas and flies coming in the plumber should have at least did that but maybe landlord didnt want to pay for that either

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.