Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower faucet valve stem broken-Single wide trailer
Author: wlowery42 (TN)

Hope I did the photo link post/copy correctly)

So here are some photos of my problem. The metal valve stem is broken off to nothing after removal of faucet handle. Pliers won't even grip it anymore and we have no idea how to get this water off or where to get the parts for removing or replacing anything on it. As you can see my shower faucet is in a mess but my main problem at the moment is getting the hot water turned off. With a broken valve stem and no grip, hardly any metal left to grab, we can't get it turned all the way off. This poses several HUGE problems, this I know. This is a mobile home. Single wide trailer, faucet appears to be plastic but we have no other information on it other than that. We are broke, job liss due to covid 19 and have limited resources. Any tips or tricks or advice on how to get this valve stem turned all the way off would be more than appreciated. Also any advice on where I could find a cartridge of faucet parts for mobile homes similar to this one would be a blessing. Qny and all advice welcome, so PLEASE HELP!!! Here are the photos links:

Edited 1 times.

Re: Shower faucet valve stem broken-Single wide trailer
Author: NP16 (OR)

I would suggest replacing that existing shower valve with a new one.

You can save on costs by having the wall opened up and area made accessible to a plumber or handy person.

I prefer Delta R10000 valves because they are cheap and seem to do the job. Lots of relatively cheap trim kits are available and Amazon or others will deliver to your front door.

In the mean time you can use Sharkbite caps as needed so you can have the rest of the home under water pressure.
Just find the piping leading to this valve. Make a clean cut. Install a Sharkbite cap until you are ready.

Edited 4 times.

Author: packy (MA)

a self tapping screw should get enough of a grip to be able to rotate the stem.

Author: packy (MA)

a self tapping screw should get enough of a grip inside the stem to be able to rotate it.

Author: bsipps (PA)

Shut off the water to the entire trailer then remove the brass nut securing the stem and remove stem, go to home depot or plumbing supply near you and match it up bring all the pieces that came apart, worse comes to worse replace the entire thing

Author: bernabeu (SC)

packy's idea should work as a temporary fix assuming clockwise is OFF

or

hacksaw a 'slot' in the stem and use a screwdriver (matters not if you cut some plastic also)

ps. the entire faucet can be replaced later for under $52 with DIY labor if necessary

[www.homedepot.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

That is a mobile home unit, so if you have a mobile home supply/repair store in the area they MIGHT have a repair part, but I doubt that anyone else will.

Thank you, grateful for your advice clap
Author: wlowery42 (TN)

Thank you so much. We are heading to home depot first thing in the morning, given the snow melts and doesn't start back up again, to purchase the self tapping screws. My fiancee and I are so grateful for the advice, and for you having took the time to help a complete stranger in need. Thank you, again.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.