Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sleeve over angle stop pipe
Author: Tom the Elder (CA)

The angle stop for a toilet will not fully close. I have replaced many in the past but this one has a sleve about 2 inches long that fully covers the inlet pipe between the angle stop and the wall. I am hesitant to turn the angle stop without putting counter-force on the pipe for fear of the angle stop unscrewing the pipe within the wall. Any suggestions how to proceed with this? Thanks.

[i.postimg.cc]

Re: Sleeve over angle stop pipe
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Are you sure it is a sleeve and not a chrome pipe nipple ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

if it will not fully shut off then you can probably just replace the washer.
if there is a brand name on the handle and you can get an exact match, replace the whole stem assembly.

to answer your question. if it is a covering sleeve then it should turn freely and independent of the valve.

Author: srloren (CA)

Yes to save money sometimes a chrome cover was used instead of a chrome nipple.

srloren

Thanks all for the replies. Yes, this is clearly a sleeve. It turns freely by hand.

Packy, repairing the angle stop did not occur to me but I might give it a try.

If it turns out to be unrepairable for some reason, is risking unscrewing the pipe within the wall my only option?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? does the sleeve move into the wall exposing enough nipple for a hold-back ?

if not

you can 'sacrifice' the sleeve by grabbing over it with vice-grips really really tight so it crushes onto the nipple for a hold-back then remove the sleeve and replace when you screw on the new stop

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

tom, so much depends on what kind of fitting the brass? nipple is screwed into .
if it is a brass nipple then why not use a chrome nipple so no need for a sleeve?
i don't think it is a copper tube with a male adapter soldered on the end. if it was, the hex on the male adapter would be the same size as the hex on the shut off.
maybe carefully make a diagonal slice in the sleeve near the valve and peal it back so you can get a 'hold back' wrench on the nipple?

note... when you get the valve apart to hopefully rebuild it, look inside to make sure parts of the washer are not stuck inside. may need a helper to briefly turn the water on to flush.

Bernabau - Great idea! All piping in the house is galvanized steel so if I can crush the sleeve the pipe inside should hold up. However, I think I will first try to repair the valve.

Edited 1 times.

Packy, I prefer not to replace the nipple because I would not be confident I wouldn't get a leak after screwing the new nipple into the tee in the wall. If repairing the valve doesn't work I will try crushing the nipple as bernabau suggested. If that fails, cutting it as you suggest sounds sure fire. Thanks.

tom, you might have to replace the galvanized nipple. if it is screwed into a galvy tee behind the wall it should be in decent shape.
BUT where the brass valve is screwed on, the galvy threads may be 1/2 rotted away. got to do with the brass and the steel meeting with water present.
hopefully you are successful rebuilding the valve.

Yikes! That is very good to know. If I open the wall, I can repalce the nipple with the reassurance I want that the connection is not leaking while giving my wifr a reason to go ahead with the new wallpaper she has wanted in that room for years. Thanks Packy.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.