Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weil McLain Gold Plus 40 Dip Tube Replacement
Author: Paul F (NY)

I’m hoping someone can tell me how complicated replacing a Dip Tube on the McLain Gold Plus 40 is. And would like to know if the Dip Tube is flexible, I have about 3 feet from the top of the tank to my basement ceiling. Thanks.

Re: Weil McLain Gold Plus 40 Dip Tube Replacement
Author: steve (CA)

Why are you replacing the diptube?

When I’m using hot water l can get at least one full shower then the water starts to get cool. When I check the Gold Plus 40, the cold water intake line is hotter then the hot water output line

Author: packy (MA)

that is not a dip tube issue.

the cold water enters the tank at the top and the dip tube directs it to the bottom.

even if the dip tube is missing, the cold will still enter the tank but it will take a "shortcut" and come right out the hot port.

i would look for another issue. recirculation line problem ?

Thanks for the feedback, can you explain what you mean by “recirculation line problem”

i should have asked if you have a recirculating line for your hot water.
from the internet... "A recirculation line is a separate water pipe that runs off the hot-water line from the farthest plumbing fixture back to the water heater. A pump at the water heater moves hot water through the recirculation line. Any cold water in the recirculation line is returned to the heater"

do you have to wait for hot water at the farthest fixture or does it come very quickly?

I have to wait.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

sounds like you have an inoperative lower element

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Can you explain “inoperative lower element”

paul, our good friend from SC thought you had an electric water heater.

bern, the heater is an indirect style heater.

OK paul, when a water heater has hot coming back up the cold inlet that means there is a cross connection somewhere.

so if you don't have a recirculating system (most common suspect when a cross connection is present)then the shower valve is the next most common place.
some kohler shower valves are famous for this.
may be best to get a tech in to diagnose why this is happening.
it might be as simple as feeling the cold water inlet until it get hot and then try to figure out where that hot is going. it has to be going somewhere.

... oops ...

My shower has individual valves for hot and cold water(old bathroom), would this setup cause that same issue?

only way possible would be if someone opened hot and cold to take a shower. left the hot and cold on and had a shut off at the shower head that they closed.
this is a classic cross connection.
cold could back into hot or hot could back into cold. either could happen depending on piping in house.
otherwise, no it could not happen with separate handles.

mixing valve INSIDE clothes washing machine may be a culprit

? valve OFF supply to machine !

or a new single handle faucet ANYWHERE

"ANYWHERE" ???

except the neighbors house.

grinning smiley

I do have a shower Head that I can turn off and I occasionally do. But I’ve been doing that for many years.

No new faucets anywhere. If it was the washer machine mixing valve then would it fill with warm water no matter what temperature I selected?

possibly

valve off or disconnect washer and see if your issue disappears

good luck

Ok, I’m in the process of checking all prior suggestions. I was wondering if an expansion tank on the hot water outlet line of the Gold Plus 40 might make a difference???
Just to remind everyone, this system has worked flawlessly for over 15 years...until now.

sooooooo .... something broke or changed NOW

the question is: what?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.