Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Upside down Delta shower valve
Author: jeffdmc1 (NC)

Good Morning

Can a Delta pfs pex ws, shower only valve, that will control a hand held shower at rear of shower, be installed upside down? With handle and trim plate in correct position?
I would like the drop ear located below the valve. I could use two 90 elbows but might loose some flow.

I have read that the Delta RP10000 valves and cartridges are asymmetrical.

Thank you.

Re: Upside down Delta shower valve
Author: hj (AZ)

If the elbow is going to be BELOW the DO NOT invert it. I only invert the valve when the connection is above the valve.

Author: packy (MA)

as with any shower valve, IT doesn't know up from down.

the important factors are that the ports marked H & C must be piped that way and that the trim plate must install with any symbols or letters so they read as intended.

some shower valves (depending on internal design) the top and bottom ports can be run to a tee. that tee then feeds the shower giving maximum amount of water.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

check the mounting screw position for the trim plate

from memory Delta is NOT symetrical so the trim plate would be upside down if the body is inverted

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

I would just install it the correct way and use elbows to your wing ell. You wont lose noticeable pressure with the elbows. That way your handle points in the right direction. If you put it upside down and put the trim on right side up, your handle might not be in the correct position. I could be wrong.

with a "symmetrical" valve, you can run the hot and cold to WHICHEVER side you need/want to as long as the cartridge is installed to compensate for it. The "spout" port is ALWAYS larger than the shower one so it will give the greatest flow.

Moen because of the "stop tube" is one of the FEW valves which cannot be inverted. Delta can be inverted with NO problems with the trim, as long as it is not one of the old ones with the retainer screws at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions.

moen shower valve is clearly embossed with an UP lettering.

not because of the function but as hj points out, the orientation of the trim can not be reversed.

.....as long as it is not one of the old ones with the retainer screws at the 5 & 7 o'clock positions.

hence my advice to actually check

D'OH

This bath remodel is beating me like a Hertz Rent a Mule.
I called Delta and they said no way. I just finished installing 90 elbows and I'll see how it goes. I'll insert the cartridge and test the gpm and psi.

I appreciate all your help and expertise.

too bad you didn't ask delta tech "why not "

I did call them twice today, just to double check. Both techs said it would not work correctly.

? WHY NOT ?

"SOME" newer models ???

Then they have at least two techs who are incompetent.

THAT is YOUR "Newer" model? I haven't seen a "new" one of those for decades.

bern, perfect example of a set-up that can not be inverted.
the orientation of the mounting screw holes will make the trim upsidedown. BUT the valve will still WORK.
if you were so inclined, you could mount the valve on the ceiling, facing down, and it will still work.

SHEEEEEZ, y'all

? location of common sense ?

Edited 1 times.

Very articulate Berney.

WhHen you do something "different", you have use some common sense, and ensure that it WILL work, or else DO NOT DO IT.

If you read the entire thread and other threads with this subject or read other plumbing threads, you will find many plumbers who have said it can be done. I was just trying to confirm that it would work or not. This thread has varying answers.
I did go ahead and mount the valve according to the prescribed way.

As far as trying something different without any experience, if that's how we lead our lives, we still be living in caves.

However, I do appreciate yours and all the others comments and free ideas and thining.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.