Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 pipe sleeve for 3/4" copper tubing
Author: sum (FL)

I need to pass a 3/4" copper pipe through a 11" thick solid concrete wall.

I used a rotary hammer and with the biggest bit I have which is a 1" diameter bit, I drilled a hole through the wall. I was able to pass a 3/4" copper pipe through, although it was kind of snug, which surprised me.

I then used the same bit and went in and out, multiple times, even putting the bit in a bit of an angle to make the hole slightly bigger, even after that the copper pipe felt a bit snug in passing through,

I wanted to sleeve the copper from the concrete wall, the poly sleeve I have needs a 1-1/4" hole. Since the pipe fits the hole kind of snug, I have to use something thinner. Any suggestion what kind of sleeve may work in this case? something like a tape?

Re: pipe sleeve for 3/4" copper tubing
Author: packy (MA)

electrical tape?

Author: NP16 (OR)

I'm thinking Packy is referring to black 10 mil tape. This tape is hardy and had great adhesion. Every plumber has this on their van...you are an amateur plumber so why don't you? lol

What I see guys do around here for sleeving pipes is to drill a 2" hole. then that works great for 1-1/2" PVC or ABS pipe.

I do have a roll of PASCO tape. However since the wall is 12" thick, and if I wrap PASCO tape all around I am guessing if the pipe is snug without any sleeve if I put the tape on it will not pass easy, it will probably pass if I force it hard, and that may end up tearing the tape up as I push through.

Author: packy (MA)

so, you either make the hole larger or see if you can locate a short piece of 3/4 inch copper type "K".

I enlarged the hole. I used a 1" diameter 18" long bit and ran drill slowly wobbling up and down the entire length, then I repeat but wobbly left and right, then lower left to upper right, then upper left to lower right. After running in and out the full 12" for a while with the bit slightly wobbling like that I think I enlarged the hole by 1/8".

I will wrap 10 MIL PASCO tape around it may be 2-3 wraps will fit through fine.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the expansion and contraction of the pipe + any future foundation movement will tear up the tape ANYWAY

do the job PROPERLY and install a sleeve - fill the gap between the pipe and the sleeve with low expansion foam

OR

to save the price of the proper size drill bit ........ tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I used PASCO 10MIL pipe wrap and did three wraps. That is 30MIL.

Author: DaveMill (CA)

@Sum,

You do neat work!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.