Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to re-use cast bronze valves
Author: tuey45 (IL)

My house is 125 years old & has the original undersink fancy plumbing (visible). I'm taking out the galv. pipe probably installed in the 1940's.

The lower portion of the visible sink plumbing are fancy cast bronze valves. They are one piece construction with pipe extending about 3-4" on inlet and outlet. The outlet uses a gasketed flange. Under the floor, I found that the inlet is attached to a special steel coupling. The cast bronze pipe is sleeved into a black iron coupling...no threads. There is no evidence of brazing. It must have been a press fit.

The inlet end of the steel coupling is threaded. The original black iron nipples are still attached to the couplings. The nipples are welded to galv 90's probably because the plumber couldn't remove them intact.

They weren't dumb back then...there had to be a reason why neither the inlet nor the outlet of the valves were not threaded. Possibly the casting material would not handle a tapered thread. Maybe it's not a standard diameter pipe.

So, if I cut off the steel coupling, and remove the nickel plating, can cast bronze be soldered to a brass or copper fitting, assuming I can find one with the right ID? Also, I don't know if cast bronze can be brazed to copper or brass??

I hoping someone has some expertise, or knows someone that does. Thanks.

Re: How to re-use cast bronze valves
Author: hj (AZ)

I have no idea what you are trying to describe, but i can almost guarantee it was NOT "pressed" together.

Author: Mr tee (MT)

Posting a picture would be very helpful.

Author: packy (MA)

bronze can be soldered to copper.
use a good grade of solder such as silvabrite
[www.lucasmilhaupt.com]

I have no idea how to post a photo.

Don't know which of these is correct.

Edited 2 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Any chance of getting a clearer photo of the underfloor connection?

Hope one of the above is the image...it's a clear close-up. You can see the steel coupling and the steel sleeve that protrudes at the top of it. I'm surprised to see that it does look like something was done to the bronze nipple where it enters the steel sleeve.
I miked the bronze nipple and it is a standard 3/8" pipe (0.67" OD). Thanks

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you have a 'Rube Goldberg' of cobbled together soldered & threaded fittings

get the entire assembly out by unscrewing at a convenient fitting and take same to an actual plumbing shop for evaluation / repair

HOWEVER

it will be MUCH more cost effective to simply replace with a modern 'equivalent'

eg. of modern available 'stuff':

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.