Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sweated joints leak at valve
Author: burnttwice (VA)

I installed a Delta MultiChoice R10000 brass shower valve in my house using copper tubing. The water lines run to the valve through two ball shut off valves and six elbows. I cleaned the copper tube ends with sand cloth and inside the fittings and valve ports with steel wool wrapped around a drill bit. Then I fluxed the tubing ends and inside the fittings. I then sweated the joints with a basic hand-held propane torch and Oatey lead-free solder. When I finished I turned on the water to test for leaks and I fount two leaks, both at the valve. The shower head connection leaks and the cold water connection leak at the copper to brass connections on the valve. None of the copper to copper joints leak. I have tried re-sweating the leaking joints several times but they still leak. My first question is why are two of my copper to brass connections leaking? The brass valve ports seemed difficult to heat evenly with my torch and the leaks are in the back where it is hard to reach with torch and solder. My second question is what to do to stop the leaks? Would a different torch help? There was no water in the pipes when I sweated them and it is easy to drain the water out of the pipes and valve when necessary. Do I have to take the leaky joints apart and redo them with new copper tubing?

Re: Sweated joints leak at valve
Author: steve (CA)

The joints need to be disassembled and inspected. Too much heat, not enough heat, no flux and not clean enough are the reasons for joint leaks. I'm betting on not enough heat. From what I've read, the new no-lead brass expands more than leaded brass and the copper pipe doesn't get proper heat transfer to it, without giving some heat to the pipe and not just the fitting. In areas that are hard to get a torch to, I try and make up those joints "on the bench", so I know I have proper heating all around and not concerned with accidentally burning something in close proximity.

Author: packy (MA)

steve, i don't believe shower valves have to be no-lead.

i do agree too much heat or misdirected heat will cause leaks every time.

Author: steve (CA)

You are correct, that the "no-lead" requirement is for potable water components. I thought some mainstream companies also had LF tub/shower valves, but that does appear to be the case. Slap on a Prop65 label and send it out.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.