Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with Galvanized Pipe Conversion for New Water Heater
Author: roamin (FL)

I am replacing my water heater and will need to extend the galvanized steel water lines (cold supply in, and hot out) up higher for the new unit. I'm curious about recommendations on what type of fittings/pipe to use to connect to the galvanized pipe. I can find all of the fittings I would need in galvanized, except for a shutoff valve for the cold supply (which I need to replace as well). The only shut off valves I've been able to source are either brass or stainless. I've read that it may not be best to connect brass or stainless to galvanized without a dielectric fitting, but I haven't been able to find on that specifies it's for galvanized NPT to brass NPT.

Long story short... can I use a brass shut-off valve with galvanized pipe? Or... how do I connect brass fittings to the existing galvanized pipe? Any thoughts/guidance/recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Galvanized Pipe Conversion for New Water Heater
Author: Mr tee (MT)

A brass valve is what you want to use and what you will find.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

while they are 'called' brass valves they are actually a 'specialty' alloy of bronze and are quite suitable for galvanized pipe

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

But, if you are using copper from the valve to the heater, you will need a di-electric union so you don't get galvanic action between the steel and copper. If using a stainless steel flex connection, I don't think you need a di-electric union.

Re: Help with Galvanized Pipe Conversion for New Water Heater
Author: packy (MA)

our world class sponsor has flexible connectors in all sizes.
a couple of these would do you.
[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Thank you to all, this is exactly the info I needed. I do plan on using the stainless flex hoses from PlumbingSupply. To confirm... it sounds like I'm good to go with the following setup:

Existing Galvanized > Galvanized extension fittings (coupling/nipple/elbow) > Galvanized nipple > Brass Shut-off > Galvanized nipple > Stainless Flex > Water Heater

Does that sound correct?

Author: DaveMill (CA)

When I bought my house 24 years ago, the inspector pointed out the galvanized pipes and predicted failure within 10 years. The water main failed after about 5 years. I started replacing all the galvanized nearby whatever remodel or repair I was doing: bathrooms, kitchen, water heater. When the long runs finally did start to drip after 19 years, the repipe job was less than half the size it would have otherwise been. So my advice would be, replace all the galvanized near the water heater, and consider going back to the next joint/drop/riser/whatever.

Author: packy (MA)

sounds like you have experience making up a plumbing stock list.
now, tell the truth. did you write the list on a piece of paper or on a wood shingle? hahaha
pick up a roll of blue monster teflon tape as well.

Re: Help with Galvanized Pipe Conversion for New Water Heater clap

lol... yeah, but mostly for fun... Hot summers where I live so I've built a lot of water-related stuff with PVC for the kids over the years. :] Thanks again for the help!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.