Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer Smell Throughout House
Author: FloraMacdonald (CA)

Hi Everyone!

Whenever I run the washing machine or dishwasher, my entire house will reek of sewer gas for about 24 hours, or until I open all the windows up to allow the smell to dissipate. If I run the dishwasher and the washing machine the same night, the smell is extremely strong. The smell is so strong that it wakes me up frequently in the middle of the night. My bedroom is at the opposite end of the house, and I sleep with the door shut. You can smell the nastiness in the morning when you step outside the house.

I have also noticed when the washing machine is running, almost the entire sink basin in the garage backs up with dirty water, and then drains. Not sure if that's normal.

The layout of my house is classic ranch style (one long line); all the bedrooms at one end, then the kitchen, then laundry room, then garage.

I've reached out to several plumbers to come and inspect, and nobody can figure it out. It's gotten to a point where I want to just tear all the plumbing out and get new pipes (original plumbing from 1961, but pipes are still in "good condition"winking smiley, but every plumber says that may not even fix the problem.

I'm hoping someone here can give me some tips I could try myself, or even share with a plumber to look into.

Thank you!!

Re: Sewer Smell Throughout House
Author: steve (CA)

Water backing up in the garage sink is not normal. There is a restriction in the sewer pipe that needs to be cleaned and possibly checked with a camera. This is the first thing to do.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Simple first. Is there a floor drain near that section of the house? A dried out floor drain can cauce your issues. Or even a sink that doesnt get used (dried out trap).

Author: DaveMill (CA)

Many years ago I had a similar problem in a building I managed. So we shut every door and sealed the doors with blue painters tape, then ran the washing machine. Then we opened one door at a time to find the source. When we found the room with the odor source, we stripped it bare. It turned out that there was a hidden floor drain that had dried out years ago that nobody knew about.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.