Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Lime/calcification
Author: BondGirl (NY)

We have a well and no water softener at our house. We have been having water pressure problems for some time now and will most likely need to have a new well dug and will be installing a water softener. I have recently gone through the entire house and took all the aerators off and cleaned lime residue from all of them and the shower head as well. I periodically have to take the cold water intake hose off the washer and clean residue out. Now I have no cold water flowing into the washer. It has a dual valve fitting for water intake. No problem with hot water, just cold. I want to replace the dual valve with separate hot/cold valves but in the meantime how do I clean out the cold water valve? Copper pipes.
I am 100% positive it is clogged with lime residue.

Re: Lime/calcification
Author: steve (CA)

Have you checked to see if the supply hose has a screen built into the rubber washer? Checked the washing machine inlet screen?

Author: packy (MA)

post a picture of which style valve you have.
there are a few different ones out there.

Yes, did all that. There is no cold water coming out I removed the cold water hose and turned the valve on. Only hot water comes out of the valve.

Sorry, having trouble loading pictures

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Do what Steve said. Be sure to disconnect both ends of the hose. Either end could have a screen. What's weird is, it's usually the hot side that gets clogged. Cold copper lines usually wont get clogged. Could be a defective dual valve? If that's the only place that has issues, I would bet it's the hose or the valve.
I've also seen hoses with built-in "leak detection" valves that have to be reset sometimes. Just a thought.

Author: Curly (CA)

Is this the type of washing machine valve you have ?

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Generally this type of valve is fairly easy to replace.

I would suggest you have a replacement on hand before taking it off because there are a couple O-rings that could be damaged.

You want to get the same brand for the replacement.

Watts is a popular brand of this type of valve.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

simply unscrew the two big silver screws on top and the entire valve assembly 'lifts off' for cleaning / servicing / replacement

but

you may/will need new 'o' rings

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.