Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 install 2200+ feet of supply line?
Author: tjj131 (TX)

Hello

I am in the process of designing a home. The location of the home is approx 2250 feet off the main road, which is where the meter will be set. My questions are:

1. What type of material is best to run this long distance. The soil is sandy loam.
2. What size line should I run?

Thanks

Re: install 2200+ feet of supply line?
Author: Mr tee (MT)

You will probably be using poly pipe.

Size depends on:
1) pressure at the street
2) size of the meter
3) type of pipe you decide on
4) change in elevation
5) fixture units - based on everything that uses water on the system

Author: mr leak (CA)

I would use pex because there would be less connection fittings by using 100 ppt rolls pvc pipe is 20 ft sections which would afford too many glue joints

Author: bernabeu (SC)

"B" expansion type PEX to maintain ID

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

i would use... 2" x 500', CTS x CTS, 250 PSI, Black, HDPE, Water Service Tubing.

with compression couplings.

[www.fortiline.com]

you will need a storage tank at the home

you will fill the tank slowly (using the requisite pipe size to account for friction losses in the 'run') from the meter

you will require a pump and compression/resrvoir tank to supply the home FROM said storage

OR

you will need a pump at the meter end to supply hi pressure which the friction loss due to the run of piping will lower on the way to home - controls will be problematic

OR

use a well local to home

you will need an EXPERIENCED plumber and/or architect and/or engineer

? check with any potential neighbors in similar situation ?

Edited 2 times.

Author: NoHub (MA)

You can forget about seeing any usable pressure at the end of that run, your going to have to suck it out of that line. I would speak to someone at a store (not home depot) that sells well pumps and tell them your situation. Pump and a tank with a bladder.

Author: hj (AZ)

If the water does not flow out of the line, "sucking" it will just create cavitation at the pump.

Than how does a shallow well pump you fine in some ones basement avoid this?.

there is no friction loss for the incoming replacement water

when you pull a vacuum with a centrifical pump in a closed system the water on the suction side actually boils (aka flashes into steam) which creates small 'explosions' due to 1700:1 expansion

generically known as : cavitation

interesting bernabeu .I have installed pump and tanks for people far off the main street (long run) many times with a any problems. how does a pump like this(link below)avoid cavitation?. not being a wise guy, I do respect your opinion and I love learning even after 38 yrs.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 times.

either:

the pump is so 'sloppy' that it will not cavitate
(still possible to overheat)

OR

the 'black box' on the outlet prevents said cavitation by regulating flow VOLUME

(ps. i did not mean that centrifugal pumps WILL cavitate, i mearly explained what cavitation IS when they are 'starved')

It does a number to Propellers on boats and submarine too.

only when they are consistently run at or over 80% of their rated RPM

"Scotty, give me more speed."

"Aye, Captain, I'll see what I can do."

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.