Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drains venting for half to full bath conversion in basement
Author: Hal in Parkville (MO)

2012 IPC is our local standard.

I'm adding a shower to an existing half-bath in the basement.

At present, there is a 2" vent at the sink drain. The sink drain line ties in to the 3" toilet drain line and acts a wet vent for the toilet.

I'll move the toilet over 5-6" to maintain 15" to the new shower base.

I plan to tie the new 2" shower drain from the p-trap to the 3" toilet drain line about 12" upstream of where the 2" sink drain ties in.

My question is whether, according to this plan, the venting is sufficient / up to code.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Drains venting for half to full bath conversion in basement
Author: packy (MA)

answer to your question is no it does not meet code.

if you can manage to sneak the 2 inch shower drain behind the toilet riser (where the 3" label is) then you can tie it into the 2 inch sink drain.
put a 2 inch "Y" where the pink meets the yellow. pick up the sink from the branch and run the shower into the end.

trying to be clearer. put a 3 x 2 "Y" in the yellow pipe. put a 2 inch street 45 into the branch of that "Y". aim the 45 so the outlet parallels the yellow pipe. now put a 2" "Y" so the run of that "Y" also parallels the yellow pipe. drain the shower into the end and the sink/vent into the side.

Author: Hal in Parkville (MO)

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure I follow.

I gather you think that the plan I outlined isn't sufficient.

What if I cut and cap the existing sink drain line and run a new one to tie into the toilet drain line upstream of where the shower ties in to the toilet drain line.

Edited 1 times.

OK, totally disregard my first post.
i misread what you said.
i thought the shower was located to the upper right of your picture.
i'll try to get it right this time hahaha.
more to follow.

all green is 2 inch.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.