Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kitchen faucet sprayer hose dripping under sink
Author: lde (WA)

Hi,
The sprayer hose for my kitchen sink faucet (brand not known) is dripping water under the sink. I am unclear why.
[pasteboard.co]

Here is what I tried:

1. Turned on faucet. Confirm no leak from any other place except pipe thus ruling out hot and cold water supplies.
2. Turned off faucet. Dripping stops.
3. Sprayer itself never drips. Only the pipe drips under the sink, when the faucet is on - this is true of the cold and the hot water supply.
4. Tried using EZ Fuse tape on the section of the pipe that dripped. This failed and the leak just started above and below the tape.
[pasteboard.co]

5. Then I thought that maybe I could just replace the pipe and went under the sink to work with an adjustable wrench. The nut just turned and turned - no quick connect that I could push/pull and after 30 minutes or more on and off turning nothing had moved. Unclear why as the wrench did fit around it correctly and there seems to be no rust. But maybe everything is turning?
[pasteboard.co]

6. Went to Home Depot as well as couple of hardware stores - doesn't look like they sell those sprayer pipes anyway.
7. One store suggested I get a channel locker wrench remove the faucet itself. This might've helped but I was wary of making the problem worse, given that I really do not know exactly how all this works.
8. Another store suggested that while water leaks out of the pipe - the cartridge in the faucet is the problem and I could try removing it. I got some way on this - but am unable to pull the cartridge out now.
[pasteboard.co]

I'm out of ideas and tired now smiling smiley and turn to you all to hopefully help some more.

Re: Kitchen faucet sprayer hose dripping under sink
Author: steve (CA)

The hose probably has a male thread and the nut is captive to the rigid faucet pipe, so you have to hold the threaded end of the hose to get the nut to unscrew from it. The cartridge comes out by turning the silver retaining nut counterclockwise. The flexible metal hose that you "sealed" is just a decorative and protective cover over a rubber/vinyl hose. If the leak is from the rubber/vinyl hose, you won't be able to seal the leak, only replace the hose assembly.

Thanks Steve. I managed to buy a wrench and take the retainer nut off. I had to grip the hex bit and turn, and it took a bit of muscle, but it then came off.

Here is what it looks like from the front and inside. Is there a way to tell if its bad?
[pasteboard.co]
[pasteboard.co]

Also a little black piece (is this charcoal?) fell out when I was taking the cartridge out. There's no more charcoal there inside. Is this a problem?
[pasteboard.co]

The handle has a lot of blue and white gunk built up in it. I guess I should clean that out? But that apart - now what? Do I just clean everything and try and put things back together? Or should I buy a new cartridge?

Here is the inside of the faucet once the handle is removed. Interestingly, even after shutting off the master water supply and tightening the taps for hot and cold under the sink one side keeps dripping. And the drip continues under the sink without a faucet attached surprised. Not sure why. And its only the hot side that keeps dripping. Does this mean its not shut tightly enough?

Or is the problem in the pipe after all? Or something totally different?
[pasteboard.co]

Edited 1 times.

That black thing is a piece of the washer from the hot angle stop. That's why the valve isn't fully shutting off the water. The angle stop needs to be replaced or at least the washer replaced. The faucet leak would either be from cartridge or the hose. Does the spray head have a shut-off button?

This is the sprayer, and it looks like there is a button.
[pasteboard.co]

I cut away all the EZ fuse tape, put the retainer nut back on, realigned the cartridge and turned on the water everywhere. Nothing happens.

I turn the sink water on and it starts dripping again under the sink. So at least the automatic dripping has stopped once I put the cartridge back in. I am back to the original problem now.

Would you recommend I try a new cartridge next? Also where is the angle stop for hot water - is that inside the cartridge? or somewhere else? Thank you for all your help so far. I am learning a lot.

The angle stop is the valve that shuts the hot water off for the faucet. If you turn the faucet on and push the round button on the spray head, that should shut off the flow through the spray head and build more pressure in the hose. The drip might become a spray that you can trace, to see if it appears to be the hose or coming down from the cartridge recess in the faucet body.

I re-attached the cartridge and turned it the hot side and the cold side as shown in the pictures below.

[pasteboard.co]
[pasteboard.co]

I then stopped the water on the sprayer. This resulted in the force of the water increasing under the sink from the leaking pipe. Nothing ever came out of the cartridge at all. This happened more for the cold water and less for the hot water.

Does this mean that the cartridge is okay? and the problem is with the sprayer pipe? Or could it be something else that is completely different?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you need to replace the 'sprayer pipe' which is actually a 'hose' inside a flexible metallic outer wrap

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks I'm having a ton of trouble fitting the wrench and turning. I tried to hold the pipe as I turned but have to keep readjusting the wrench and that's not working.

I'm now trying with a longer wrench approaching the nut straight from the bottom rather than the sides like before.

Update: I approached the sink vertically, with the original small adjustable wrench and crucially from the non-dishwasher side of the sink and have finally got the sprayer out of the sink. Hooray and thank you thank you so much for your help Steve all the way through and bernabeu as well.

[ibb.co]
I guess I need to just replace this hose, connect it back (I should buy an easy connector adapter right?) and hopefully things will be okay? Right?

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.