Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Pfister tub/shower valve trim handle
Author: sum (FL)

I have a Pfister tub/shower valve with a "HANOVER" 808-TMKK single handle trim.

The handle that points down broke off.

At first, I thought all I may need is a new handle, but in close examination, the handle broke off at the base of the threads, so most of the threads are still inside the dome thing.

OK then just remove the dome thing and try to extract the threads, and if that fails, replace the dome thing too.

BUT when I looked at the parts list and installation instructions, it becomes clear I am going in circles.

If you look at the install and parts diagram, there is no removing this dome (or what they call the HANDLE HUB PART F), without removing the KNOB PART N. However, the KNOB PART N, is secured with a set screw through a hole through the HANDLE HUB, and this set screw cannot be removed without removing the handle which has broken off.

In other words, the remnants of the handle left inside the hub prevents the set screw from being removed, and this the top knob cannot be removed, and thus the two screws behind the top knob holding the handle hub cannot be removed, and the handle hub itself cannot be removed.

Any thoughts? A dremel to slice across the handle hub?

Re: Pfister tub/shower valve trim handle
Author: steve (CA)

The allen wrench needed is pretty small( 1/8"ish), so a relatively small hole can be drilled through the broken stub for the wrench access. Then remove the dome and try an easy-out for the stub. Maybe soaking the dome in vinegar/CLR to help with any mineral build-up might assist unscrewing the stub.

Author: packy (MA)

quote..."Moen® products have been manufactured under the highest standards of quality and workmanship. This warranty is extensive in that it covers replacement of all defective parts and finishes."

i would contact Moen directly.

Author: hj (AZ)

Why would he contact MOEN, when he states that this is a Pfister faucet?

steve, good point, I will try that.

actually I think I will contact Pfister to ask them what size that set screw is, to make sure I drill a hole slightly bigger. There is a lot of white build up on the handle, I think it will be a challenge to extract that broken threaded stub. May be better plan on getting the handle hub dome too.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Even with a new handle 'hub', how are you going to remove the old hub? I had a similar problem with an old Grohe faucet. The set screw stripped out. I checked the parts breakdown and marked to see where I had to cut the handle off. I had to cut through the handle so I was cutting the stem behind the set screw, NOT the valve body! Of course, this will only work if you can get a new handle and cartridge, becauce you are cutting through the cartridge stem. I would guess the reason the handle broke off because it was getting hard to turn.
Hey everybody! A hard turning handle is a sign that the faucet needs help. Good Luck.

If I can drill a hole through the broken stub, then I can insert an allen wrench to remove the set screw behind the hole, which will free the front knob, once that's out, two screws holds the handle hub. I think that should work if I am careful with the drilling, if I drill too deep and destroy the sleeve, or worse yet chew up the top of the set screw then it will be a problem.

I have to do the drilling with the drill pointing up close to the wall in poor lighting conditions sitting on the tub. Any advice? Should I shut the water to the apartment off so I can turn the hub to an upward angle so I can drill downward?

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Get a little screw extractor or ez-out. That way you dont have to drill all the way to the set screw.

Author: packy (MA)

what i meant was if he has a choice of contacting me or contacting moen that the obvious choice is moen. after they stop calling him names and tell him it is not their product, THEN he should contact pfister.

I called Pfister, and they are sending me parts 8E, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8J in the diagram below.

As for removing the broken off piece inside, I will try a screw extractor, but I do not have much hope with them most times. I will try that first, if that doesn't work I will drill it out very slowly, I also have a small 3/8" diamond blade hole saw that can be used to cut out a larger hole, or even a Dremel to slice through the hub and use a screwdriver to pry it apart. As long as I have new parts on me, I am pretty sure I can get it out.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Sawzall 8F flush with face of 8C

Remove screws 8E (two)

8C will then pull free leaving 8A in place

a dab of grease on the new handle threads will prevent this issue in the future

? are we done yet ?

you are welcome

tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley tongue sticking out smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

no not done. Can't really do anything until I get new parts in hand which will take 7-10 business days. Meanwhile the shower has to remain operational even without the handle. I have secured a strap wrench onto the hub in the mean time to make it easier for the tenant to turn the hub. I have also placed an order to get a new cartridge while I have everything apart to change that out too.

Edited 1 times.

Author: mr leak (CA)

make life easier and buy a new trim set up Phister has a life time guarantee and likely this will cover the trim system I know the valve body guts are covered

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.