Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Banging sound after flush when shower running
Author: nelz283 (NJ)

We experience loud banging inside the walls when 2 things happen:
1. We are using the shower and the upstairs neighbor flush their toilet.
2. They are in the shower and we flush our toilet. (Video of this event [imgur.com])

Our latest change to the plumbing was addition of a water softener unit, PRV and shut off valve in the line. Did these changes cause some sort of issue?

The work was done by Culligan water softener company and they claim that it is our flush valve/plumbing that needs inspection or repair.

How do I fix this?

Will adding a water hammer arrester at the flush solve this?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Banging sound after flush when shower running
Author: packy (MA)

you fix this by finding out what is wrong and addressing it.
do not disguise the problem by adding devices.

was the addition of the water softener and PRV for your unit or both units ?

it does seem strange that the combination of tub and shower causes this but toilet/s alone cause no noise?

was there a PRV in the house before?
was an expansion tank added along with the PRV ?
assuming the water was shut off for all this, was the piping flushed from a lower faucet before sending water all thru the house? (i'm thinking debris is caught somewhere?)

Author: hj (AZ)

It is commensurate with a sudden drop in the cold water pressure causing the tub/shower balancing spool to "activate".

Hi!

There was no PRV before in this house. No expansion tank. No flushing from a lower faucet was done.
PRV got added into the piping after the water softener was introduced.

I tried turning off the shut off valve to the toilet tank, flushing once and then turning it back on fully last night - and it seems to have reduced the problem intensity. The test I did was to run the shower and then flush while shower kept running. Before this used to introduce some vibration and noise in the pipe - but now nothing.

Maybe its fixed?

I have to run the same test and valve shut off/reopen action with the upstairs neighbor maybe?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

A PRV makes your water system a "closed" system, requiring an expansion tank to allow for water that is being heated to expand.
I would also check the toilet fill valves. A failing fill valve can cause noise issues.

To solve this newly introduced pressure problem, do I need to swap the delta R46463 cartridge system out and install a pressure balancer type shower valve?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.