Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet flange help
Author: Jdubbluk (PA)

Our home was built 1981 on concrete slab. Recently we started renovations on our master bathroom but moving plumbing around on home built on concrete has been quite a chore.

Anyways, I want to remove and replacement flange with PVC and ideally move it about 2 inches to the right (like use an offset) so it wont be so close to the new shower stall. I have had hell of time trying to get the toilet flange off though. It is a cast iron flange but it seems cemented into the ground? I don't see bolts either.

Attached pictures for reference. Any help on how I can get this flange removed would be much appreciated it. Thank you.

Edited 9 times.

Re: Toilet flange help
Author: packy (MA)

link for picture not working

Ahh sorry, finally figured it out!

Author: hj (AZ)

Hammer and chisel.

Where exactly do I need to hammer and chisel?

Author: sum (FL)

it's probably leaded to the cast iron pipe.

Author: NP16 (OR)

if you have enough pipe to work with you can on the vertical install a couple of 22's to offset the pipe over a few inches. Use a shielded coupling to adapt from CI to Pl. the flange sits atop finished floor so you may just want a pipe wild through the floor now and cut and install flange later. Center of toilet to finished wall needs minimum 15".

Reminds me of my days as an apprentice in commercial plumbing going around correcting the location of drains. The concrete demo is step one. Don't forget your eye protection. All pipe in contact with concrete needs foam wrap.

Whoever does concrete pour back ask them if they have a level and know what level means? lol

Edited 1 times.

The pipe appears to be 3 inches below the flange. This is good.
Just take a plain old 16 OZ hammer and from the inside bash the flange to pieces.
you won't hurt the pipe as it is lower.
there is lead between the pipe and the flange and when enough of the flange has been eliminated the lead will pull upward releasing the remnants of the flange.
in fact you may not need to remove all the flange and lead, just enough to be able to push this offset ,insert flange into place.
you won't get the distance you were looking for but you will gain about 1 1/2 inches. maybe a little more.
when i use this type flange, i clean the inside of the pipe reasonably clean and lather up the rubber ribs with bowl wax to help the seal.

Re: Toilet flange help clap

Thank you NP16 and packy.

That was very helpful and I think i know how to continue from here.

Im a first time home owner and we had to begin renovations due to the amount of mold we found in the master bathroom. We have a new born and I was worried about my families health. Nothing has been easy though because the entire condo is concrete. Concrete slab, cinder block walls and ceiling. I’ve been trying to do much as possible by myself without due to cost and with our baby and another on the way we are tight on money. So thank you for all your help.

That adapter insert do you happen to know what it’s called so i can order it online?

Edited 1 times.

check your measurements carefully to make sure it will fit.
by eye it looks like it will work.
it is called...
4" Inside Push Tite Offset Closet Flange w/ Stainless Steel Ring

You sir are a scholar and a saint. Finally got it off!!! Thank you 100 times.

Yes and the drain is 4 in diameter. So 4 to 3 in adapter right?

After all the different tools i bought and used at the end of the day... what did the job was a hammer...

Edited 2 times.

there is no adapter.
the flange i pictured and the name of it i posted is what you want.
the measurement you need to check is the up and down measure.
when the rubber is fully inserted, the stainless ring must set down on top of the finish floor.
it is OK to push it deeper into the cast iron pipe but we can not have part of the rubber sticking out.

BTW, who keeps count... but i have removed maybe 100 or more cast iron flanges in my days and never used anything but a hammer. (occasionally need a chisel)

Author: mr leak (CA)

offset closet flanges can be problematic you need 15 inches from the center of the toilet to a wall in otherwords a toilet should have a 30 inch minimum wall

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The Gospel:

A Standard Floor Flange for a Standard Toilet is EXACTLY 12" center of flange to finished wall (face of paint / wallpaper / tile, etc BUT not to face of any baseboard)

MOST toilets are 12" roughing dimension

BUT

There are 'some' (usually not in stock) which are 10" or 14"

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.