Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Seeking a new 36” or 42” vanity, thru floor supply lines
Author: new2plum (NY)

Hello:

I have been delaying the inevitable, needing a replacement of our vintage 1930s wall mount American standard sink. It was mint green but I had the bathroom professionally deglazed white. I just don’t feel it is safe to use with kids and visitors anymore with those 2 standing legs that often come loose.

I am looking for a 36” wide x 35” high vanity with a large rectangle sink, that has either draws on both sides or only in the middle, because I need it centered.

However I have the through the floor supply lines that stick out a few inches from the wall. I will replace the shut off valves also but it seems like all the vanities I saw have a wooden back that would not be able to sit flush against the tile because of those pipes.

I was thinking of disconnecting the lines above the shut off then lifting the vanity legs and stand over the valve then reattaching the lines but then I’m not sure if I’d have to make cuts or if the shut offs would be ac have attached pictures of the setup if anybody has any ideas of a special vanity.

Thank you and happy new year
[postimg.cc]

Re: Seeking a new 36” or 42” vanity, thru floor supply lines
Author: packy (MA)

this depends on how fussy you are with the looks of the vanity floor after this is done.
yeah, you can remove the supply tubes from the stops, cut a couple of rectangular slots in the vanity floor wide enough to be able to slide the vanity into place. the stops appear to be right at the vanity floor level so the slots may need to be about 3 inches wide.
you may need to cut a little off the back as well?

don't forget you need to deal with the trap as well.
there is about a 1 in 20 chance the drain will line up.

Author: Tom130 (IL)

One option would be a vanity with legs. Another way would be to extend the pipes so the stops are in the cabinet. I'd use two galvanized 90s to get them closer to the center. Either way you're going to need to drill holes in the bottom of the cabinet.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

for each supply:

street ell + standard ell + nipple + cap (temporary) + escutcheon + new stop (inside cabinet)

get a cabinet with enough 'kick space' for the fittings

cabinet will drop down over bottom feeds for which you will have to measure CAREFULLY

[pdf.lowes.com].

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: sum (FL)

not a pro but I agree with having the new stops be inside the cabinet. It would be very difficult to shut them off through the kick space.

depending on the vanity you select, some may not work as well as others. If you pick one that has a drawer in the middle that when in the closed position may bump into the drain for example.

it appears you have male adapters connected to both copper tubings and 1/2" threaded connection valves. I would explored the possibility of offsetting one of the tubings closer to the other may be 4" apart, close to the floor with two 90s, so that both lines come up through the vanity floor on one side, leaving floor space for storage and cleaning on the other side unobstructed, I would use compression valves on both tubings inside the vanity cabinet.

Author: packy (MA)

sum, those stubs thru the floor appear to be 1/2 brass nipples.
the home owner may be more comfortable with cutting bigger holes in the vanity floor than attempting to do his own plumbing.
he can always attach stops on top of the stops to make them more accessible.
kinda mickey mouse but this would work.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.