Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Outside Cleanout Broken AGAIN
Author: sum (FL)

A few months ago I mentioned I have an outside 6" cleanout at the property line and the female adapter was broken - I guessed may be by a lawn mower because I noticed it was broken right after the landscape crew was here.

The female adapter cracked, and I didn't have time to fix it because a 6" female adapter had to be special ordered. I just put an 8" hose clamp around it and tightened.

Well I noticed this time a car was parked there, could be at night and they couldn't see the CO. It must have driven over it, because not only the female adapter cracked all the way, the cover was pushed into the fitting at an odd angle it was impossible to dislodge it.

I end up replacing the female adapter over the 6" SDR35 riser.

The female adapter was very easy to remove off the SDR35 pipe. It doesn't even look like it was ever cemented. Either that or very little cement was used, I didn't see any primer. This is odd.

I end up putting some concrete blocks and curbs outside the CO to discourage cars from parking there, hope this works.

My concern is, how likely it the CO fitting down below broken from a car driving over it? Is there a way for me to check, I looked down into the riser with a flashlight but I am not sure I can tell. I am worried that the car may have pushed down on the riser and the fitting cracking the joint. Possible? Should I be worried?

Re: Outside Cleanout Broken AGAIN
Author: bruceb3 (MI)

Why would you not cut it off so that the top of the plug is flush with the grade? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it.'

Author: bernabeu (SC)

or

[southernmeterbox.com]

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I don't want to cut it off at grade or below grade because it's south Florida and I am close to a river that rises up around full moon that floods the streets and yards, they call this the "king tides", that and when we have big storms we also have flooding, these flooding and river tides takes it to a few inches above grade.

If I ever have to snake the drain during these times, opening the CO will cause all the flood water in the area to empty into the drain.

The city is trying to solve the problem by putting in one way valves that empties the storm drain into the river, but they have been talking about it for years.

I also don't like the CO below grade because it's more likely to be caked with dirt and said, and when you have to open it the dirt falls into the CO unless you clear the surrounding dirt prior to opening them. All the COs around my neighborhood sticks up 4" to 6" above grade. Mine is actually lower than most.

Author: packy (MA)

how about you dig down a few feet and install a piece of this.
[wholesalehoses.com]
with this on top.
[www.homedepot.com]

Author: bruceb3 (MI)

If you don't want it at grade, glue a 2 ft. piece on with the clean out on top. If it sticks out 2 ft., they can see it to avoid it. Cement a cement filled piece of 3' pvc next to it to protect it. Bet they don't break it again!

you don't think these concrete blocks will stop them?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

have fun mowing and weed/whacking

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Packy the horizontal pipe is 3.5' deep and I am trying to avoid digging it up. My back hasn't been kind to me in 2020.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.