Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 replaced compression cartridge, banging 1 month later
Author: new2plum (NY)

hello:

So I had a plumber replace an old (1930s) american standard hot shower single handle cartridge and seat because it was slowly leaking at the handle and head and also banging when turned on and off.

We got a high quality, heavy brass american standard replacement and installed it, complete with new packing nut, stem, seat. It worked fine from the start, the only immediate issue was it would not allow water to flow out when installed so the plumber tightened up the packing nut then it worked fine, although the handle was noticeably harder to turn on and off than the other 3, and it needed to be turned quite a bit further before water comes out. The tap when turned on low would also pivot back slightly, as if under strong internal pressure, and try to turn itself off when partially opened.

Now, the water hammer has returned, but not as loud as with the original cartridge, only in that specific tap but there are no leaks anywhere. The noise occurs when you turn the tap on slowly just as the water begin to flow and also when you turn it off. None of the other taps make such a noise. I left the water off for 30 min then just turned the tap on and off 3 times in a row, no noise but the 4th, 5th and 6th time, the banging returned when turning off and on if that helps..

Im really confused what happened because if the replacement part was faulty I thought it would bang right away.

Is it possible he turned the packing nut too tightly and if so is the unit unsalvageable? I brought the old part to the plumbing store and they matched it up with this new part so I assume the part is correct and it was brand new, I saw it personally. I tried bleeding all the taps in the house but the problem is still there.

Please help, happy holidays and thank you.

Edited 3 times.

Re: replaced compression cartridge, banging 1 month later
Author: steve (CA)

The packing nut is there to prevent water leaking from around the shaft and to keep some rotational tension on the shaft. It should have no correlation to compression washer/seat issues. To me it sounds like there's a problem with the compression washer or it's retaining screw. Has the cartridge been removed and inspected? Were the new seats identical to the old ones?

Luckily I bought 2 just in case one failed which is shown in the pics. I have not removed the one the plumber installed because I plan on calling him back to assess. The seats look pretty much identical. I mean there may be a 1mm difference on the stem length and its has an extra thread but they look pretty close and the receipt said it the new part was also american standard. Attached are the pictures. Thank you Steve

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

Author: steve (CA)

I had the same thing happen at a friend's house. I replaced the A/S stems with OEM parts and after a couple months, the hot stem would create a loud vibration, when opened a slight amount. I replaced the washer and this worked for about 6 months and then started happening again. My friend had me change the faucet to a 2 handle ceramic seal style and a separate anti-scald valve.

Than you Steve: My only concern is if this banging will cause a leak in the supply lines or cartidge behind the tile wall. Do you think it could. Attached is the picture of my pipe cutouts behind the wall. The top right pipe is the hot shower handle in question.

[i.postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

not to worry. those pipes will no be harmed

I did a bit more research and it appears my stem is the american standard re-nu, 5.5 inch stem? It appears I was sold an non OEM part, and I know the original part may be discontinued. Also, there are 2 twisted circles on the original stem but 3 on the replacement. i remember the store clerk guy saying the hot and cold are the same part, is that correct? Does anybody know of a different brand non OEM that would work without banging. I think these are manufactured incorrectly, as washer, seat were brand new and retaining screw was clamped down.

Many thanks

[i.postimg.cc]

[i.postimg.cc]

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.