Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can I replace power vent water with a conventional one?
Author: Kraken (TX)

[imgur.com]

I currently have a power vent Bradford unit.
The pic is in the link. The unit is placed in the garage and vent us about 6 ft toward the side of the wall with 45 to 60 degree almost vertical except for the last pipe on the wall.

I get noise upstairs when the vent runs. I wonder if I can replace this with a regular one.
I called a plumber and his response was like he was not sure but I am better off getting the same type.

Is it wrong to use a regular one? I looked around internet and mine is not exactly side vent..

Re: Can I replace power vent water with a conventional one?
Author: packy (MA)

a direct vent model will work for you.
no motor needed.
you must place it close to an outside wall.
[www.homedepot.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

You would have to replace that PVC "chimney" with a conventional one, which could be fairly expensive, depending on your house's construction.

instructions for direct vent water heaters.
[www.statewaterheaters.com]

Author: NP16 (OR)

I can understand why you are wanting to switch heater types.
I installed a power vent model yesterday ($1300 was my cost for the new WH). Nice commercial grade unit. works great. AO Smith. turn the switch on and bam it starts heating water like that. Has 2" PVC venting.

So you have to do some math and figure out if the additional savings from switching types will be worth it once you calculate the additional cost for a licensed contractor to install the new venting. 12 years from now when the new unit fails is when you might break even with costs.

***Make sure to have proper seismic straps on the new unit. That's over 500 pounds up there that if it came toppled over could be a major issue. The plumbing is code is there to protect you!

Edited 1 times.

Can I not use the conventional one? It seems the direct vent is for a limited space and I do not have a space issue. The vent is throught the wall toward outside

Is the new venting to replace PVC with metal one?

What I really curious is if water will function properly and will not be against plumbering code if any.

if there is no motor to create a draft or if you can't fit a direct vent model then you need a chimney.

you just don't stick a pipe out the side and call it a day.

the pipe must extend upwards until it is 2 feet higher than anything within 10 feet.

you also can't use single wall smoke pipe outside. it must be double wall pipe.

so if the noise from the motor bothers you, you have 2 choices.

direct vent or erect a chimney on the side of the building.

BTW, the hot water will work fine even if you leave the top of the heater open to the air.

BUT, you will die of carbon mon-oxide poisoning.

seriously, be very careful with any gas vent. CO is a very real danger.

Author: hj (AZ)

The area where the heater goes will determine which kind you use, or need. It had NOTHING to do with the water.

Author: steve_g (CA)

You could try calling B/W to see if there's a fix for a noisy fan.

Okay. I am clearly understanding my options now. Direct vent with updated vents or quiet power vent unit if there is.

I will call a few plumbers to justify the cost.

Thanks for your input

I will try that but it is not unusual noise when I hear from the garage where it is located.
But i guess it is worth a try and will ask if they have a model quieter than others.

Thanks for suggestion

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.