Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 combined tub drain and overflow
Author: GHsystems (MA)

I'm working on a house which had a gut reno in 1934. Several tubs were installed with a combined drain and overflow, that is no overflow hole higher up. Drain function is controlled by a matching handle (marked "D"winking smiley located with the "H" and "c" handles. There is a 2.5" vertical pipe open at top, running to the "D" linkage, and threaded into a "t" connecting with the tub drain, and then to a drum trap. The overflow function works.

I guess that the vertical pipe has two "chambers" separated by a baffle (?) one to house the linkage and rising tub water, and the other to drain provide the overflow function.

This was a very high end /top-of the line renovation for its day. This system was clearly specified by the architect. I think its American Standard (but possible Kohler).

Waste line from this strange assembly runs to drum trap, which has a 4" collar or cuff soldered on to the top probably making unscrewing the cap impossible. Collar fills with water but stops, just as the overflow function kicks in, then slowly drains.

Has anyone any knowledge of these systems?

[i.postimg.cc]

(Toilets have Curtin rotary valves, with supply high in the tank. But that's another story.)

Edited 1 times.

Re: combined tub drain and overflow
Author: packy (MA)

that collar looks like an extension to bring access to the trap cover up level with the floor tile??

there shouldn't be any water in it.

maybe someone drilled a 1/4 inch hole in the trap cover to slip a snake wire with no head into.

seen that done before.

slow draining water will come up thru that hole.

if you can get the cover off you can snake the outlet and it will drain much better.

cover and trap are brass so you have a 50/50 chance of removing it.

BTW the drain assembly around here is called a 'bayonette' drain.

Re: combined tub drain and overflow
Author: GHsystems (MA)

Packy....thanks. I fear, but do not know, that the collar is soldered on in such a way as to make it impossible to unscrew the trap cover. TBD. I like the idea of a tiny hole to allow snaking, and I agree there should be no water w/in the collar.

I'll try to research the "bayonette" drain assembly. Seems to work OK, amazingly. But at 80 yrs old, it may fail...

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.