Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help identifying valves
Author: ericsarratt (NC)

I was told these were probably brass gas valves by a bronze foundry (I was trying to find the manufacturer). Can anyone confirm?

I thought they were bronze boat seacocks (seawater in/out valves), but nobody on the sailing forums had seen them before. They came on my boat.

[i.postimg.cc]
[i.postimg.cc]

Re: Help identifying valves
Author: bernabeu (SC)

i would place my bet on:

ground seat gas cock

my guess as to why they were used:

by removing the bottom tension nut the 'guts' are removeable for service/greasing also allowing clearance for the valve to be removed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

they are water valves not gas valves.
mueller was one manufacturer and another was red head.
this is a picture of a similar one.

[muellercompany.com]

gas valves are required to have a double nut on the bottom and a 'stop' position.

also the little round bump on the side is where a hole would have been drilled for self draining valves.

I stand most humbly corrected by the master.

reason(s) for use remain the same

Author: steve (CA)

I say gas. Mueller, Apollo, AY McDonald and other companies manufacture and sell gas cocks with a staked single nut. The rotation stop was accomplished with a recess in the top rim of the body and a pin extending out from the plug, under the handle.

Author: ericsarratt (NC)

Thank you for your help. I see the similarities to the water and gas valves.

So, it is also highly likely that they are brass?

Author: packy (MA)

yes.. they are 100% solid lead bearing brass.
by the way.. if you turn them and they leak, it is an easy fix.
loosen the nut on the bottom, leave it in place to protect the male threads, tap gently on the bottom and once the stem is loosened, remove the nut and slide the cone shaped stem out of the valve body.
you can now clean the stem and the valve body, apply some silicone grease to the stem and push it back in.
tighten the nut on the bottom until it becomes harder to rotate the handle/stem.

tongue sticking out smiley actually they are an alloy of Bronze tongue sticking out smiley

a brass valve would cause galvanic corrosion on steel pipe just like a brass fitting

'brass' valves are actually a special bronze alloy

@ packy: you are STILL the master

grinning smiley

Author: Mr tee (MT)

I know them generically as "plug valves" and they have been used for both gas and water. As stated above they can be disassembled, cleaned, greased, reassembled and put back in operation. This type of valve dates way, way back in history.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.