Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Connecting 1/2"OD to 1/2"ID copper
Author: hdtrc (PA)

Hello,

I need to T into cold and hot lines with Type L hard copper. The lines that I want to tap are 1/2"OD soft copper.
Looking at some charts I can see the there would be a 1.8mm gap if I tried to put the 1/2"OD into the 1/2"ID so that seems like a bad idea. Or is it ? I haven't physically tried it.

I can find 1/2"OD to 5/8"OD couplings but am interested in swaging the 1/2"OD. Can it be swaged to fit inside the 1/2" T or even slightly to fit inside the 1/2"ID ?

Thank you

Re: Connecting 1/2"OD to 1/2"ID copper
Author: packy (MA)

there are any number of ways to do this.
easiest might be to find a tee similar to this.
it would be 1/2 compression x 1/2 compression x 1/2 inch female.
the female side will be pipe size so a common 1/2 inch copper x male adapter will fit.

Author: Mr tee (MT)

A 1/2 nominal X 3/8 nominal fitting X copper reducer (bushing) would sweat right into a 1/2 tee. 3/8 nominal is 1/2 OD.

I couldn't follow that. By nominal do you mean Type L and M hard straight pipe with a 5/8'OD (for 1/2"winking smiley and it's related fittings ? I'm assuming that you are.

Do you mean a 1/2 x 3/8 reducing coupling and a reducing bushing ? Or a 1/2 x 3/8 reducing fitting with a 3/8 x 1/2 bushing ?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

[www.grainger.com]

Outside Dia.
1/2 in x 1/2 in x 5/8 in - run/run/bull - as in 'bullheaded' T

all you need do is solder

you are welcome

ps. 1/2 OD soft copper is the same dimensionally as 3/8 nominal hard copper

5/8 OD soft copper is the same dimensionalyl as 1/2 nominal hard copper

pps. there is no such item as 1/2 ID copper, merely 1/2 nominal size

hard temper, used primarilly for potable water, is 'stated' as nominal pipe size

soft temper (annealed), used primarilly for refrigeration, is 'stated' as OD diameter

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i don't know bern..
the copper tubing he wants to cut a tee into fits inside plain old 1/2 copper tube.
a little loose but the OD of it is within 1.8mm of the ID of 1/2 inch copper tube.

the tee you pictured does not look like it is that close as has been described.
i see the described size as 1/2 x 1/2 x 5/8 but it doesn't look it to me?

i still think to save the guy from soldering, just slip on a comp x comp x male tee like this with a 1/2 inch ips x copper sweat ball valve.

Author: Mr tee (MT)

1/2" nominal copper is 5/8" OD.
3/8" nominal copper is 1/2" OD.

A "fitting reducer" is a bushing, so a 1/2" X 3/8" fitting reducer would fit into a 1/2" tee and allow you to sweat 1/2" OD (3/8" nom) in the branch - if you are willing to solder. If you have the tools for sweating these fittings would be cheaper than the other options.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

@ packy

copy & paste from fitting site:

Outside Dia.
1/2 in x 1/2 in x 5/8 in

EXACTLY what the OP wants

tongue sticking out smiley

ps. the OP is confused re: OD sizing and NOMINAL tube sizing - he/she thinks nominal is an ID size instaed of an APROXIMATION

pps. 'hard' 3/8 tube will fit loosely inside 1/2 OD 'soft' tube - too loose for soldering, but brazeable

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Re: Connecting 1/2"OD to 1/2"ID copper smileys with beer

The fittings worked perfectly.
Thank you.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.