Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 replacing frost free hydrant
Author: sgull (AK)

Am planning to replace the style of "frost-free" hydrant as shown in the photo with a new identical one. The old (identical) one being replaced is already installed, plumbed into a finished exterior wall. I'm hoping it's possible to replace the old one with the new without a need to open the wall to directly access where that threaded fitting on the end of the copper pipe threads into the female mating part/fitting within the wall.

I'm supposing I can unscrew the entire old hydrant from the female part/fitting within the wall by simply grasping the front main body (area of the hydrant below the vent cap and above the water outlet) with a pair of channel lock pliers and turning counter-clockwise until it is unscrewed. Then to install the new hydrant I'd probably need to apply some teflon tape or paste onto the threaded copper end and then insert that end of the new hydrant into the hole in the wall the old one was pulled from and manuever it around some and until it seems I'm aligned to screw the new hydrant in, and just screw it in and snug it up tight. Is that the way it would be done, does that sound like I'm on the right track? Any tips/suggestions/comments appreciated!

Re: replacing frost free hydrant
Author: hj (AZ)

IF the pipe in the wall is secured it MIGHT be possible, but the only way to know is to try it.Just don't be too aggressive.

Author: packy (MA)

you don't know 100% that the faucet is threaded into a well secured female fitting.

i wouldn't attempt to unscrew it if it were my job.

if you have the identical same brand and model of faucet, why not just replace the innards and be done with it?
example below of the type fitting it must be screwed into so unscrewing will not do damage to pipes further down that line.

Author: sgull (AK)

Yes thanks I'll just replace the innards (stem assembly) from the outside, as suggested. Makes much more sense! Found a plumbing supply outfit online that sells those particular innards. The local plumbing shops here just had the whole hydrant for sale and so I figured I might be having to try to go the route I described in my initial post here. But this was before I found the stem assembly online. Fortunately I found that online before purhasing the whole hydrant locally... and going forward "blind" as I was asking about.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.