Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer cleanout protection
Author: sum (FL)

I would like some advice regarding how to best protect sewer cleanouts from lawn mowers and cars from breaking them.

Mine tends to stick out a bit higher, may be 2-3 inches above grade, so that it's visible and easily accessible. But occasionally the lawn service riding mower hits it and breaks it. One time the plug cracked and broke, another time the female adapter fitting cracked.

I understand one way to deal with it is to lower the actual cleanout below grade. Cut the pipe a few inches lower, and use a recessed plug, cover the CO with a few inches of dirt and it will never be in the way of the mower or a car. The problem with this is in the event the CO needs to be accessed, you have to find out where it is by digging around it to expose it, and by the time the plug is exposed, the recessed slot is packed with dirt you have to clean it out to fit the CO key into the slot. Once it's opened, the first thing that happens is a pile of dirt around the CO drops into it, adding to the problem.

I have seen some concrete product that looks like a big donut to be placed around an existing CO. Do these work? Do they really protect the CO if a mower bumps the concrete donut wouldn't the concrete donut bumps the plastic PVC CO adapter and cause damages too?

Another option I am thinking about is to dig a hole around it and cover it with one of these electrical or irrigation valve box.

Any other options?

Edited 1 times.

Re: sewer cleanout protection
Author: steve (CA)

I use the box you show, if it's not in a driveway.

Re: sewer cleanout protection
Author: jblanche (WI)

I would also use the valve box shown. In fact I have a cleanout in a six-inch round valve box and a couple in the larger rectangular boxes. Another advantage to those is that if allowed by code, you could use a cap over a plain spigot end, and skip the threaded fitting altogether.

I cut landscaping fabric around the pipe and put bank run gravel on top of the fabric. The landscaping fabric should be large enough diameter to set the valve box on the gravel, fold and secure the fabric around the box, backfill outside the fabric, and then trim the fabric, or just tuck it under the lid. Around here soil is clay that mostly stays put, but I am sure sandy Florida soil is harder to deal with.

I suspect using the gravel foundation helps mitigate frost heaving and also keeps top-side pressure such as from mowers and cars, from pushing them down too much.

My pipes are 4" SDR35 and corrugated HDPE for storm water, so not quite the same as your application, but caps fit pretty well inside the 6". I placed the boxes in 2004. The one in the lawn is still pretty much flush with the grass, I just weed whack to expose it every so often. The rectangular ones are set in sand & flagstone along the driveway, and now sit maybe 1/2" above the flagstone, but still reasonably level.

Links to the State of Wisconsin Plumbing Code:
[docs.legis.wisconsin.gov]
I am not a plumber.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.