Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Whole House Trap
Author: MattyJones (MO)

Hi there. I recently purchased an old home,built in 1917. It apparently has what the plumber referred to as a “whole house trap.” He explained to me that it wasn’t necessary and it would only cause problems. This was after my basement flooded. I believed him.

The only thing is, it’s just not that simple. That’s going to cost a chunk that I don’t know when I will be able to afford it.

My question: Is there anything precautionary that I can do to mitigate/remedy the problem of potential basement flooding until I am actually able to afford removing the house trap? A Basement Watchdog, perhaps?

Thank you,
Matt

Re: Whole House Trap
Author: bernabeu (SC)

if your PLUMBING backed up through a floor drain BECAUSE of a 'clog' in your house trap THEN you 'may' want to
consider removal

BUT

first, find your fresh air inlet (may be a flush grate or a turned down ell) and make SURE it is not obstructed or blocked CAUSING an issue with the trap

if trap inside house:

if outside 'in pit':

Your primary fresh air inlet for your drain system
Your primary plumbing vent line, is technically known as a fresh air inlet (f.a.i.). It is located directly behind the house trap for your home sewer. If this vent gets clogged, all drains will operate poorly. You would probably hear gurgling sounds throughout your drain system. On the bright side, it is the easiest of all vent lines to clear out. That is because it is located on ground level, and usually accessible from right outside your home. If it doesn’t have a U bend, it usually have a vent plate over it. Vent plates are easy to remove, then there is easy access for a sewer snake.

if, however, the 'flood' was rain or ground water the plumbing system is NOT AT FAULT

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

bern, thay is what i was thinking. the trap can not cause the house to flood unless IT is clogged.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

in my experience the trap often becomes clogged because of insufficient flow-velocity caused by an obstructed fresh air intake which 'strangles' the rest of the plumbing

yes, i AM this old

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.